Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - How often should air bags be changed?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
ABnormal

Tuga,

All of this discussion made me begin thinking of my recent experience. I too had asked 2 different RV facilities about replacement and was told it is not necessary. I believe one should also consider what kind of failure might occur.

A slow leak is a nuisance, but can be repaired ASAP. A rapid and total failure, like a blowout, is going to have more serious consequences. This past summer I had the misfortune of a blowout on the right rear. It took out both airbags and 3 hoses. Total loss of air, but I was able to get to the shoulder before the brakes locked up. Total bill for a tire change and towing was $700. I also learned you can not even turn off the engine when this happens. It took the repairman 2 days to find replacement bags, so this is not something that could be repaired on site.

This was an extreme case, but I may re-think replacing all of the bags anyway. I would hate to find out the hard way what could happen in a serious failure. (and if it can happen, it will happen to me)

Larry P. in KC
1987 Coach #130
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote