Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Cross County in a Newell
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
tuga

The other glitch was an error message on the Detroit Diesel info center display "TPS Circuit Failed Low". A check engine light also illuminated on the dashboard. I turned off the cruise control (so that I could feel the response of the engine to the throttle) and that corrected the error. I used the cruise control for the rest of the trip with no other problems. With the manuals provided by Detroit Diesel, I was able to determing that TPS stands for throttle position sensor. Beyond that, I have no idea if this is a simple random electronic glitch that will not soon return, or if I need to have the TPS examined/replaced. Any suggestions?

Signed, a tired, stressed but happy Newell owner.[/QUOTE]

Tim,

I had the same "TPS Circuit Failed Low" message periodically for about the first 2 years that I owned the coach. I found that if I accelerated or braked, the message would clear. After a couple of years, it stopped displaying the message. I can't remember the last time it did it. I don't think that it is any reason for concern. I priced a throttle positioning sensor from Newell and it was $532 (ouch!); I didn't buy one!

I had a friend who had the same message display on his Prevost and his throttle wouldn't operate at all; he was dead in the water. He found a DD parts supply house and a parts guy found the TPS sensor (which is located under the accelerator pedal) and my friend replaced the sensor and he was on his way. The cost was about $100; I was going to buy a sensor like his but I never could get a part # for it.

I think that moisture caused some of these sensors to malfunction. Before you spend any serious money be aware that these sensors are sensative(that doesn't look like it is spelled correctly?).
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote