Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Basement A/C unit replacements
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
gbuss

Default Basement A/C unit replacements

Hello all,

I have a 1990 42' with four basement units. Only one (the only original unit) of them is currently making any cold air. I have come to find out that someone prior to my ownership had purchased three LG window a/c units, separated the condenser halves from the evaporator sides, painted them black, and plumbed them into the bays in place of the original units. Obviously this has not produced satisfactory results. I have seen condensing units for commercial applications (mainly walk in coolers and freezers) for sale on E-bay that look like they would work and fit well the bays, but I do not know enough about how the system works to know which unit (if any) would be a good choice. So I have several questions:

1) Are any of these commercial units viable as a replacement for the basement units in my coach.

2) Which refrigerant would be the best choice? (the units are all designed to work with a specific type and I don't know what was original and if I need to stay with that or if a different type would be a better choice)

3) These units are mostly rated by the hp of the motor not the btu rating of the unit. How would I select the proper size unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

George Buss