Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Allison MT41 questions
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
sopicki

Hello again. We've been working this week on rebuilding the brake system and while I have her up on jacks I decided to pull the transmission filter and change the transmission fluid. Since there isn't a drain plug on the pan, I assume that all that's required to drain the transmission is to remove the filter and let the system drain. Does anyone have experience changing the fluid on the Allison MT41 and care to share their experience? Will this drain the cooler as well? What came out was bright red and didn't smell burnt at all. The filter had a few metal particles in it but nothing alarming. Name:  DSC_5346.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  18.9 KBName:  DSC_5386.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  15.3 KBFor what it's worth, we pulled the Eaton 2 speed differential out of the housing (while the axles were out to work on the brakes) so we could re-seal it. The diff looks good but the hub bearings were toast. There was a lot of metal in the housing and the diff looks like it was a rebuilt unit. There was too much metal for it to be the hub bearings, the diff looks works and shifts great, so I'm guessing the metal was from a previous differential that died and the shop that replaced it never adequately cleaned the housing. It took me close to 3 hours to get the housing clean again. Hopefully we'll have her back on her tires by next Tuesday. Any advice on the the Allison or the Eaton is appreciated. Thanks!
sopicki is offline   Reply With Quote