Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Dry Camping Time
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
tuga

Hi Russ,

I was told by Newell that when dry camping I should put the battery merge switch in the middle (off ) position. That way as my house batteries were being drained my chassis batteries would not be drained down by the house lights, refrigerator, etc.

Conversely, when I start my generator to charge the house batteries I must put the battery merge switch in the up position (on) so that the battery charger in the inverter can be powered up.

The only other way the house batteries can be charged is if the engine is running; then the alternator charges the house batteries thru the ignition switch.

Maybe I misunderstood, I'll call Tommy Key at Newell Monday and ask him to "splain" it to me again.

I always thought that unless the battery merge switch is on your house batteries can not be charged. I thought the purpose of the merge switch (which is labled Park Only) was to keep you from running down all 8 batteries. With the merge switch off you would only run down the house batteries. That would save the chassis batteries to start the generator so you could re-charge the house batteries.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote