Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - ZF 12 speed Transmission vs Allison 6 speed
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
MarkofSJC

Arrow ZF 12 speed Transmission vs Allison 6 speed

I had the opportunity to drive a Newell with the ZF 12 speed transmission, and in many ways it was truely like driving a manual (with a "virtual" clutch). At a stop sign, if you didn't keep your foot on the brake, the coach would roll. It was a little harder to "creep" as small throtte inputs had that "slipping the clutch" feel.

We climbed a significant grade, and it was really amazing to see the transmission shift into what ever gear would keep it at the RPM sweet spot - at times I assumed it was down shifting when it was actually up shifting!

I would really be interested in anyone who has driven significant miles on the ZF 10 or ZF 12 transmissions. With significantly more gears, have you found fuel milage to be any different? In climbing mountain grades can you maintain speed better? Or decending a long grade using the Jake brake do you have more control? I'm told the first service is at 250,000 miles, have they been that robust? Are there things you don't like about the transmission?

I would love any an all comments. Thanks in advance!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote