Ignition Key Won't Turn - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
encantotom

Default Ignition Key Won't Turn

hi all, i guess it is fitting for my 1000th post to be a problem i need help with since that is why i joined this forum 4 years ago.

i have not started the old newell for a while as it has been typical summer hot here. yesterday was right at 100 degrees so a cool day and this morning i went out to work on a few things in the newell. i thought i would just start her up and let her run for a little while.

i put the key in, tried to turn it to start and it wouldn't turn. i carefully played with wiggling it and moving the telescoping column up and down as well as the tilt and a few strategic whacks with my hand and nothing. it will turn back towards the accessory position and back to the locked position, but not forward at all. i did try multiple keys.

4 years ago i had a buddy take the column apart and clean it to get a squeek out of it, but he did it and i didnt really follow it very much.

i know it is all mechanical. my buddy tells me it is from a 1973-1987 gmc truck and suburbans used it till 1991.

i have looked online and have some pictures of how to change the lock tumbler assembly but it appears each one could be slightly different.

he lives in colorado so not much help to me now. he also had special tools he used.

so before i do my typical thing and start tearing it apart, i thought i would at least ask for some communal wisdom on it.

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote