Entrance door problem - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
GORDON HUMMEL

Default Entrance door problem

I, like many of you, have had the sticking door issue when the door is in the sun!
Recently I noticed the door skin was seperating from the frame on the jam side. The frame is what I would call a Z section, inside going to the left, jam side going out and outside going to the right, rear of coach. This outside edge is attached to the door skin with structual tape. I removed the tape on the lower portion of the door. It was seperated +/- 3/16". Now this lower section of the frame has bowed out toward the rear of the coach 1/8" @ the center of the bow. It is as if the foam pushed it out. I tried clamping this 26" section with 5 c clamps & a 1" piece of wood on the outside, but ended up with 4 small bows & the frame edge still 1/8" beyond the door skin edge.
At this point I am considering removing the inner door panel & removing the foam insulation so I can get the frame edge back in line with the door skin.
Any recomendations?

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
encantotom

i would call newell and ask them. they gave me some pretty detailed instructions on how to get the interior aluminum panel off that is covered with vinyl. it is not for the fainthearted. you have to take the door off to start.

what you are describing i believe is a result of the door sticking and then the constant friction causing the door panels to separate. i would take this as a caution to all of you who have the sticky entrance door problem that more damage can occur. if i remember right, michael has the same thing to perhaps a lesser degree.

i did spend quite a bit of time getting mine not to stick, but in direct sun of 115 degrees plus (yes it was 115 here yesterday), it doesnt stick. for those of you who have the problem there is a series of posts in this forum on it. i described how i got mine to not catch anymore. (it is the aluminum swelling in the sunlight that pushes the door up against the door frame). i would say there is a movement of 1/8" at least in the gap everyday. in addition, much of the bubbling of the wallpaper inside if you have it will be on a joint of the interior wood wall panels and that is caused by the same expansion and contraction of the aluminum skinned coach.

let us know what newell says.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
HoosierDaddy

Hi Gordon,
My 93 has a similar problem that was exacerbated by vandals prying on the door prior to my purchase. I painstakingly cleaned all of the "tape" from the crack and applied an adhesive that I purchased at Home Lowes. I clamped the whole door perimeter. The adhesive didn't work. Now I have THAT to clean out. I am considering riveting it like the factory did before they started using "tape". I have the rivets and bought a rivet "buck" that fits my air chisel. I just haven't had the time or a buddy to help me do it.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
fulltiming

The expansion is a concern. I have shaved the edge of my door on the door side with a metal rasp and it helped some but a couple of days ago I could not get the door to close all the way even after I put the awning out. I found that the striker plate for the deadbolt was the obstruction. For the moment, I have removed the striker plate. I know that a more permanent fix will be required.

If someone talks to Newell and gets some detailed instructions, please post them here. Most of the early 1990's Newells have issues with expansion during the hot weather affecting the proper closing of the door.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
larryweikart

I have tried, twice, with 2 different, highly recomended glues, to secure the skin back to the door. Neither one has held! Like Hoosier Daddy, I've had to clean out the dried glue and that is not an easy chore. I sure hate to rivet the door, but something needs to be done. The proper fix is probably taking the door apart and rebuilding like I had to do on a previous coach. That is a big job. I sure hope we learn a different fix.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
fulltiming

According to Newell, they began using 3M tape with a special space age adhesive in the mid 1980's and expanded its use to eliminate the rivets on the side panels in later years. That is probably the best bet if you can get Newell to provide you enough to reattach the door frame.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Wally Arntzen

One sure way to open the stuck door is to throw a bucked of cold water on it. It don't solve the problem but it sure works great. I'm currently parked facing the sun but have my awning out all of the time and I have no problem at all.
I probably used the water bucket solution 4 times since I had the coach.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
HoosierDaddy

I've done that as well Wally( the water thing)...I found that I could wet the side just aft of the door. That will cause the sidewall to shrink without having water just outside the door.hhhhmmmmmaybe we need an internal water supply that will seep down the side of the coach when we need it!!
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
Wally Arntzen

Every time mine was stuck shut I just threw one bucket of water on the door and it opened right away. When a friend told to do it I thought he was pulling my leg but it was like magic. I sure hope you get if solved beause if your inside the coach and it gets stuck you will be crawling out the window to get out of the coach.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
jdaniel

I have filed mine with a flat file on the door edge a couple of times and really thought I had made progress....however after it sits a while, I'm right back where I started.
jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
encantotom

mine stuck really bad and in the hot arizona sun would make it so you couldnt open the door at all without a bucket of cold water like wally says.

for me the trick was this. after each filing, i painted over the filing area with touchup paint. then i could see where it was sticking by seeing where the paint wore off. you dont want to take off to much at a time so it looks goofy on the door, so slow and easy.

eventually and slowly and carefully i got it so it doesnt stick at all.

the problem with sticking for a long time without fixing it has been said a couple of times. the door will start delaminating and you will have a mess to deal with. ask a few of the folks here that theres is that way now.

later

tom

Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
fulltiming

Tom, you know I resemble that remark. Mine was that way when I bought it and it hasn't improved with age.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
GORDON HUMMEL

I have finally had the time to work on my door. I called Newell on thurs to get further info, but with the holiday etc I have not heard back
I am a fulltimer so I really did not want to remove the door. I removed the interior cover around the latches to study the construction.
The door perimeter frame structure is made up of 3 Z sections, top, bottom & latch side. The hinge side is a C channel with a wood insert. The exterior panel is attached to the perimeter frame with 3M HVB tape. Additional interior alum support pieces are added along with some wood blocks to support the locks. Some steel pieces are also added for additional support in the handle areas. This assy in now foamed and becomes quite strong.
I did notice tape was applied to the inside of the perimeter frame so that the foam would not stick to the frame & allow it to move.
The interior panel(s) still have me scratching my bald head. The first panel is riveted to the perimeter frame & the alum support pieces in the interior of the door. The next panel with the wallpaper on it is seamingly retained by the plastic edge pieces on the top & sides riveted to the first panel and by 3-4 rivets on the bottom that go thru the both the alum panels & a plastic trim piece. Additional retention is provided by the pull handles and other visible items.
To remove this panel the door would need to be removed in order to slide it out the bottom. All interior protruding hardware' interior door handle needs to be removed. Once the rivets at the bottom are removed the panel can be slid out the bottom. The stainless steel latch bracket is cut such that panel will slide through. Pretty slick! This then gives you access to remove all the rivets on the interior panel, and to work on the door. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THESE 2 INTERIOR PANELS ARE GLUD TOGETHER.

After studying this for quite a while I gave up & broke the plastic trim pieces & removed the wallpapered panel, giving me access to remove the other panel.
Basically my exterior skin is being held on by the foam & the 4 exterior alum trim extrusions that screw into the interior alum framework. The perimeter tape is +/- 20% intact. The foam at the perimeter will not allow me to attach the perimeter to the exterior panel without quite a bit of force which will not contribute to a good bond. My solution is to remove 2-3" of foam at the perimeter which allows the 2 pieces to be joined easily. I'm using 3M 4955 tape & also running a bead of Sikaflex 252 on the interior just to be sure.
I'm doing this is small section & after I put the Sikaflex on, I put the interior panel on temperarly to make sure all the rivet holes line up.
Long process but I have not taken the door off YET.
I will have to take the door off to do the hinge side

More to folllow
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
chockwald

So, Gordon, this sounds like more than a one day project. What will you do for a door when you do take off THE door? Or will you be able to completely remove and replace the door in one day?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
encantotom

i have wanted to replace the wallpaper on the inside of the door with vinyl. newell told me i had to take the door off, drill out the rivets on the bottom plastic trim. then the aluminum panel with the wallpaper on is glued, so you have to spray or pour adhesive releaser down the panek and use a small dowell to slide down in as the glue releases being careful to not bend the panel.

i have decided to faux paint the wallpaper instead.

good luck

tom in tokyo

Old 09-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
prairieschooner

Tom,
We were able to remove the wallpaper throughout our Coach. After Elaine (chockwald's wife) pointed out that the laminate should be underneath the wallpaper we were able to slowly pull it off and then Tricia used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean the Glue residue and whatever was left of the wallpaper. This was a tedious project that is not completed as yet but we believe that it has been well woth it, thanks Elaine.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
folivier

You had laminate under the wallpaper?
I wonder if my '93 has laminate also?
That opens up a few new possibilities.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
chockwald

Hi Forest.....In Steve's case, the wallpaper had been applied at a later date over existing laminate. Both Steve's coach and my coach had all "wood" laminate installed at the factory throughout the coach. Elaine had noticed in one area that there appeared to be laminate under the wallpaper. Since our coaches were so similar it was a safe assumption.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
prairieschooner

Forest,
Yep, there was a Laminate under the Wallpaper. I am not really sure when the Wallpaper was installed. I was told that Newell did a refurbish on the Coach at some time in the past but not sure as to the extent. With the quality of Newell's Construction I would think that covering the Bulkheads with a Laminate would be standard practice if for no other reason than simply to insure that they are sealed. Wallpaper would then have been installed afterwards during the construction process.
I would be very cautious about removing anything without doing some sampling or even better yet discuss it with Newell. In our case their records did not go back to 1982 and the Wallpaper was in poor condition anyway so................
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
GORDON HUMMEL

Just wanted to post an update on my progress on the door repair. I guess if I had heard from Newell on the removal of the outer interior panel, I might have rethought my approach. I was able to save the bottom & hinge side plastic trim & lowe's had the same plastic that I destroyed for $6.
In the last 3 days I have fixed the bottom & the latch side. The top will be done tomorrow, & the hinge side Saturday, hopefully in one day.
Removing the original tape is quite a bit of work. I cut as much out as possible with the blade shown in the attached picture, and the remainder with what I think was a cutoff wheel, shown in the picture until it broke. It worked quite well, sometimes working both edges at the same time.

More to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	145.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	357   Click image for larger version

Name:	138.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	358   Click image for larger version

Name:	140.jpg