Bent Door How to Straighten? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
RV Bummin

Default Bent Door How to Straighten?

The main door of our Motorhome appears to be bent. We bought used, but the former owner does not recall anything happening to the door.

The bottom half does not fit flush with the frame as though something or someone pushed it out at some point. I have tried to bend it by placing a 2 x 6 edgewise between the top of the door and the frame and pushing on the bottom of the door. This did not work, perhaps due to my old muscles being too weak.

Is there a trick or a proper method of straightening a door? It lets cold air in, whistles and creaks etc.

I hate to break it for good as it functions OK, just half of it does not fit. It sticks out from the frame almost an inch at the bottom.

Any sensible advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
fulltiming

Please give Newell Tech Support a call at 1 (918) 542-3344. I am sure that they can give you some helpful information.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
The Newell

If you are a DIY guy, I would remove the door and try to straighten it. I would also use a straight edge rather than your eyeball to judge if it is straight or not. Just because it does not seal off at the bottom, does not mean it is bent, it could be a hinge adjustment or latch adjustment.

If the door does in fact need bending, you may not be strong enough to do a controlled bend, so what you may want to do is remove the door and lay it on a couple of 2X4s. Place the door under your coach. Use a hydrolic jack and jack between the door and the frame on your coach, that way you can control exactly how much presure you put on the door and not over bend it. It may sound a bit crazy but I doubt any RV shop will have a press big enough to do a controlled bend to the door. This is not something you just want to tweak free hand or you will never get it right.

If your not a DIY type of person then I agree with fulltiming give Newell a call I am sure they can fix the problem for you.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote