surburban propane furnace problems - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
PIExpress

Default surburban propane furnace problems

Hi!
I have a suburban furnace that's acting up. when I turn it on, it comes on, heats (blows hot air) shuts off normally. After the initial running it does not come back on when the temp drops below the setting. It just started doing this. It has worked properly in the past. To get it to come back on, I have to shut it completely off then move the lever back to warmer and it comes back on and runs/warms and shuts off again. Where should I look first to trouble shoot? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
NewellCrazy

Sounds like yer thermostat is going. Try manually shorting the wires for heat to see if the furnace comes back on.

If the furnace works every time you short the wires, then your thermostat is just worn out. If not, then the controller has gone bad in the furnace itself.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
77newell

I agree with Sean's note just above based upon my experience with Suburbans. Regarding the thermostat if it is like mine you can hear it "bing" when the temperature in the coach reaches the set point. If you hear the "bing" then it should the furnace should kick in, with one possible exception that I've experienced. Once you hear the "bing" and the furnace doesn't kick in try Sean's suggestion of jumpering the points in the thermostat. If that causes the furnace to kick on then I would suggest trying to lightly file the points in the thermostat. That worked on one my my thermostats. The other thing to try prior to pulling the furnace apart and taking the circuit board out to be checked is to pull the thermostat wire connections on and off the board a couple times to scrub off any potential corrosion that could be preventing sufficient current flow when the furnace heats up, this was a problem once for me.

Please let us know what you find ultimately is the problem as this helps us all learn.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
folivier

Home of DeoxIT® and HAND-E-GLOVE® - CAIG Laboratories, Inc. works well to clean oxidation and can be found at Lowe's, etc.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Aragona

Question Any good replacement for the Suburban LP furnaces?

Looking to replace my 1994 Suburban LP furnaces. The come on blast a lot of hot air everything gets cooking and then shuts off until it is freezing again. They just aren't very comfortable. Does anyone have any experience with any replacements that may have variable blowers? It would increase comfort greatly.
Aragona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
rellick

Try a more sensitive thermostat, the programmable digital ones work well and not expensive. They will keep a more constant temperature.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
77newell

Hey Aragona: welcome to the Michigan big chill, aren't we having fun. You probably still have a thermostat with points and a coil. If so, then the advice of Forest is a possibility as is getting a small file and cleaning the points. As the air temperature cools the points even when "closed" are put under increasing pressure which may at some point cause them to send enough current to the furnace to start it. In any case, every points type thermostat I've been around will make a ping sound when it gets cold enough to call for heat. If you don't hear the ping until you are freezing then the thermostat coil is toast and Keith's suggestion is the way to go. If you hear the ping and then later the furnace kicks in you could try cleaning the points. You can test the points by taking a short piece of wire and jumping across them after they have closed. If that kicks the furnace on you know cleaning the points will probably solve it, otherwise toss it.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote