Air Leaks - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
David and Teresa

Default Air Leaks

Just brought my coach home from service and I had leaks in multiple places when arriving home. Among several small items I had fixed was new rubber seals on the toilet. In order to do that they had to let the air out of the system. Pulled in my driveway and parked and I could hear air leaking. There were 2 places I found. The first was in the front bay under the copilot. That was solved by tightening a connection. The second was in the manifold that feeds one of the air-operated dump valves. With both of those repaired I was sure I fixed the problem. But no. Though I can't hear any leaks anywhere inside or out it only takes about 20 minutes before the coach is out of air. The dashboard guages show the brake air holding. What could they have possibly done at the shop to cause this?

1999 Newell 45' Coach #513
David and Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
86loco

Does it look or sound like it is coming from one of the dump valves. I have had a valve stick before after the coach had been sitting for a while and with a little lubricant sprayed on it, it quit leaking. Sometimes dirt can get lodge somewhere on a opening relief or dump valve. I'm not exactly sure of the type on your year. Spray bottle with water works wonders at finding air leaks. It is also possible it is coincidental problem. 20 minutes is a descent leakdown. The shop could have disturbed another line or something as well.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
folivier

Add a little soap to that spray bottle of water. If there is a small leak the soap will form bubbles.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
MrE

Another option is an ultrasonic leak detector. I was able to find on on the Internet for just over $100. The nice thing about them is they come with a transmitter that you can place on the inside of your coach and then go outside with the leak detector and figure out where you're getting wind noises and air leaks. Here's a link to a 5 page post about tracking down air leaks http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...ly-system.html
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
express1

service where?

express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
NewellCrazy

Here is a link to an Ultrasonic Leak Detector that Jon was referring too made by Robinair.

Robinair 16455 TruTrack Ultrasonic Leak Detector

Name:  Robinair TruTrack.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  11.0 KB

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
MrE

This is the one that I bought, a VOscope SoundStik Utrasonic Leak Detector. SS-1000 VOscope SoundStik Utrasonic Leak Detector

Be sure to shop, there is a range of $106.21 to $385.99 out there for the same item.

SoundStik

All moving parts, gases, and liquids produce a broad range of sounds because of friction with their surroundings. The SoundStik is designed to listen to a non audible unique range of Ultra Sounds which are extremely useful in the Automotive Industrial & Service Trades. Ultrasound technology allows smart, cost effective preventative maintenance and quick findings of potential or existing problems in major areas:
  • Air/Vacuum Leaks
  • Electrical Noise
  • Friction Wear
  • Seal/Fit Integrity
  • Fluid Turbulence

Unaffected by Wind and Surrounding Noises

Ruggedized Handheld Portable unit

Simple to Use - Listen Directly to the Problem

Technical Specifications:
  • Dimensions: Width 2-½", Depth 1", Length: 5-¼"
  • Weight: 1 Ibs.
  • Housing: Chemical and oil resistant
  • Battery Life: Approx. 15 hrs.
  • Power Requirement: Standard 9V
  • Power Consumption: 30mA, typical
  • Frequency Response: 40kHz Centered
  • Circuitry: Solid State
  • Headphone: High Fidelity
  • Headphone Connector: 3.5m phone plug
  • Operating temp. range: 10 to +60 degrees Celsius

The SS-1000 kits contains:
  • SoundStik receiver
  • SoniPod transmitter
  • Contact rod
  • Extension tube
  • High fidelity headphones
  • Carry case

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
David and Teresa

Thanks for the response. I've searched all the threads on leaks so I've been using the soap method. Where ever it's leaking it's very quiet. Fla. Luxury in Sanford is the shop. My coach has been rock solid with air since I've had it. It seams weird that it would not be related to the service visit.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
77newell

David: if you have an air-flush toilet I would start there first. I have no clue what an air-flush toilet is since on my 77 coach we are old-school, but I've seen them mentioned on this forum several times. If you find nothing there, then the advice you've been given is really good. BTW, the description of your problem and what preceded it was helpful to me in providing you my suggestion.

I had an air leak on my coach that would knock the pressure flat in less than 20 minutes and it didn't make a sound that I could hear, but that may be more about my hearing than anything else, eh?
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
David and Teresa

I'll look closely at the toilet in the morning, thanks. This afternoon I found 2 more leaks (with kid's bubble soap) in the engine bay on the fittings around the air pressure gauge. Took it all apart, cleaned and put it back together. Made sure it was tight! I'll see if it holds pressure overnight.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
David and Teresa

Checked the coach this morning, still leaking. Checked the toilet, still holding water and no leaks there. This is the strangest issue ever with my coach.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
rellick

Did you try and call the shop where the repairs were done? If it is a reputable shop and if they were just working on it they should be able to help. You paid money to have it fixed...
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Neweller

David, something is not adding up here my friend. I don't want to jumped to conclusions around here and hope there hasn't been any shenanigans going on at that shop? How reputable are they supposed to be and I wonder if there are any complaints online about them? hmmm.... There are a few of us around here scratching our heads on this deal. This does NOT sound like a normal sounding circumstance to me.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
David and Teresa

I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow, and yes, it's the weirdest thing I've had happen since I bought it about 5 years ago. Question: If you bleed all the air out of your system for a day or two, is it possible that o-rings and such could dry out and upon re-pressurizing leaks would appear? Grasping for straws here.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Neweller

I wouldn't know about drying out that quick, but if they were already aging or dirt getting inside. Seals do shrink and if disturbed sometimes will not seat again properly. Is the shop telling you that this is the norm? Call Newell and see what they tell you in the service department as they know that system inside and out. And please report back your findings.

Hopefully, we can help you get things resolved around here.

In the past I completely redid an air system replacing all the hoses and brass compression rings from one end to the other, but only because I wanted to have everything new on a aging unit.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
MrE

Don't think that there are any o-rings, should be all compression fittings. I was wondering if there was an issue emptying your supply that causes stress on the fittings, kind of like what happens with a water line when the pipes make the banging/clanking noise. One hates to assume that the shop intentionally did any thing, but the leaks that you have found so far aren't anywhere close to the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Teresa View Post
I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow, and yes, it's the weirdest thing I've had happen since I bought it about 5 years ago. Question: If you bleed all the air out of your system for a day or two, is it possible that o-rings and such could dry out and upon re-pressurizing leaks would appear? Grasping for straws here.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
David and Teresa

Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this in the next couple of days.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
larryweikart

Default HWH Service

I just returned from HWH as my system had been "fixed" by experts who really had it messed up and I just couldn't work it out myself. HWH straightened it out (some wires were crossed) and also found out that my passenger side tag air bag had no airline going to it at all!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	3350 The rear manifolds were changed in 2010 and I never noticed the lack of the line. How that was omitted I'll never know, but I can't speak highly enough of the folks at HWH and the treatment I received while there. They even let me sleep in my Newell "penthouse", as you can see, since I had to stay overnight. .
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #19
David and Teresa

Well, not quite an answer to what happened, but here goes. I took the coach back where they only found one small leak in the engine compartment. They also found the air compressor was not working and out of oil. They filled it with oil and after sitting over the weekend it started working again. That's their story. Still seems odd that all the leaks showed up at once. Anyway...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
rellick

I think I would be taking it to a different shop, It would be a good idea to have it checked over by a reputable mechanic, like Ken said check them out online.
It would at least give you peace of mind

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote