Bedroom TV upgrade (replace your old CRT TV) - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
MrE

Default Bedroom TV upgrade (replace your old CRT TV)

When I got my 1986 it had a Sony (really heavy, deep and square) TV and a separate VCR/DVD player. I started searching the Internet for something to replace them, and found a 24" widescreen LED TV with a built in DVD player that would fit the space and had some favorable options. Uses less power than a 50w light bulb, AC/DC compatible, only weighs 10 pounds and only 2" thick. I had a couple of large holes to deal with, so I chose to match the cabinetry and build a fake door that would be my new TV mount. I was able to match the laminate at Home Depot (Wilsonart) and get the whole job done for under $300.
Attached Images

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
fulltiming

Nice work Jon.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
express1

sorta did the same in our coach. Now have 3 hd lcds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2174.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	2699  
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Neweller

There it is! Sweet job Jon.

Matt, looks like you're living it up on the road.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
The Newell

Awesome Work Jon!

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Randy J

Sweet upgrades guys.

Jon I like the way you did it. Making the fake door. To cover up the hole. Nice you were able to match up the laminate. Thanks for sharing it!

3 hd lcds? to cool!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
speedingsport

Looks good Jon! Nicely done.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
GORDON HUMMEL

Name:	jan 2010 008.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	3624
This was a 26" TV that I had laying around, but worked fine. Because of it's size I had to mount it at an angle so it would fit, but that worked out better. I also had to cut the wall so that the TV was actually inset on the left into the wall. This also allowed room to walk past it! Previously, there was a mirror there that was held on with RTV. It came off in pieces, & in doing so actually pulled off some of the formica. If you look closely, under the TV, is a portion of the doors that were in the front tv console, now used to cover up cracked formica. This was done in 2010.

Update, I have since changed the bedroom, turning the bed 90 degrees. This added a substancial amount of storage, but made it harder to make the bed.

Update II, This Saturday I was in the process of installing a new 47" TV in the front console. The console needed some mods.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not have new tv under heavy TV bracket when working on bracket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
fulltiming

Great job Gordon. Hope the new TV wasn't damaged too badly.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
JustDustin

Gordon, the bedroom tv looks great. Now if we can, let's see the new big guy! Also if you'd start a thread sharing your bedroom update I think a lot of us would enjoy seeing what you've done.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
GORDON HUMMEL

Michael,
From what I've been told & found on the net, LED/LCD panels are not available nor worth repairing
I believe I have the first 47" SMART WIFI 3D RADIO !
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
CAPTWatson

Gordon I agree the cost of replacement for a new screen isn't worth it. For the price you're better off buying a brand new TV.
CAPTWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
GringoPhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON HUMMEL View Post
Attachment 3624
This was a 26" TV that I had laying around, but worked fine. Because of it's size I had to mount it at an angle so it would fit, but that worked out better. I also had to cut the wall so that the TV was actually inset on the left into the wall. This also allowed room to walk past it! Previously, there was a mirror there that was held on with RTV. It came off in pieces, & in doing so actually pulled off some of the formica. If you look closely, under the TV, is a portion of the doors that were in the front tv console, now used to cover up cracked formica. This was done in 2010.

Update, I have since changed the bedroom, turning the bed 90 degrees. This added a substancial amount of storage, but made it harder to make the bed.

Update II, This Saturday I was in the process of installing a new 47" TV in the front console. The console needed some mods.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not have new tv under heavy TV bracket when working on bracket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordon,

I like what you did so whenever your ready my coach is available for your tv upgrade services

Phil
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
GORDON HUMMEL

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	3653
Just realized I never posted a picture of where the 26" tv ended up in the bedroom. This was temporary until I could find a lighter one & hang from the ceiling or overhead wall cabinet. This current spot was determined by finding a place that would allow opening the 4 doors & 1 draw that it could block; I call it a cloud mounting. There is a loose pin hinge in the closet door jam that allows the "L" shaped piece of wood, the TV is mounted to, to be moved around to allow access to all area's needed! Also in this position, I can open the mirrored door at the head of the bed 1/2 way and have the picture reflected to the new mirror mounted to the PS closet. This way I can watch the TV no matter which side I sleep on.

My current plan is to replace the rear mirrored door at the foot of the bed with a new tv.The TV will be mounted to a turntable on slides. When stowed, the TV will be turned 90 deg & closed flush with the other rear cabinet doors. When in use, the door will be opened 45 deg & the TV will actually be cantilevered over the bed. I'll bet the new TV will weight less than the mirror!

More to come!
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
86loco

Is this what we call the "tv shuffle"? Gordon you may become the tv expert around here. It is amazing how light the led tvs are, what were they thinking with those plasma's? Did Phillips ever come out on their investment?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
GORDON HUMMEL

Default New 47" LG TV

Name:	LG TV INSTALL 006.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	4180Click image for larger version

Name:	LG TV INSTALL 004.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	4181Click image for larger version

Name:	LG TV INSTALL 005.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	4182
Just about finished installing the new TV, without breaking it. My goal was to get the top of the TV lined up with cabinet doors to get a factory look. Top in & out spacing is controlled by washers & verticle spacing is controlled by either adjustments to the mounting of the bracket(S) or the TV mounting. Because the TV is on an angle to line up with the doors, a single change in one direction effects the other direction. While this TV is 1/2 the weight of my old 42", it still takes 3 people to remove the TV from the bracket to make an adjustment.

When I installed the original 42" LCD in 2008, I had planned on installing it flush with the new @ the time glass cabinet doors. While operating that TV when working on the overhead bracket, I realized that the heat it generated would have been retained in the top of the cabinet. The only viable solution was to move the TV out about 4".

The new TV doesn't even get warm to the touch & is rated @ $10 a year for electrical. It is only 24.5" tall, 2" less than the old 42" TV. The internal speaker are aimed down & don't sound bad, but I use a surround sound system so I don't used the tv speakers.

Still need to order a new left hand glass door that is 3/4" narrower.

This TV was on sale @ Costco for $650; Model 47LM6700.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Name:	Panasonic RV installed.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	4183I found a Panasonic Hi-Def LCD TV that fits perfectly within the space that was previously occupied by the old tube TV. The Panasonic model is TC-L37E5 and is exactly 34 1/2" wide which in the space without modifying any part of the overhead other than removing the old Sony and its door. I attached it with a heavy duty swivel wall mount which makes access easy, and I installed a center speaker to the surround system in the space above the new TV. I am posting this for those that have a similar overhead and want to upgrade without chopping up the overhead. As you can see from the photo attached, the Panasonic is large enough to provide good viewing. While it is not necessary, i matched it with a Wineguard Hi-Def antenna.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote