Basement air recharge - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Hardtrigger

Default Basement air recharge

I have three basement air condioners in my 1991 Newell #255 and curious to know if anyone has taken upon themselves to add their own free on and where wouuld you add the ice mixture to the units? I see all the recharge cans in the stores and it looks rather easy as per the can instructions but don't want to get in to somehting not to be able to finish. Is there anyone on this fine sight had the experience to do this task and have anytime to share how to do this and how many cans or lbs. to add? Thank you if so! Robert

Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
jack14r

I imagine that you are seeing R134A freon for sale in the stores,it was not around when your coach or basement AC units were manufactured.AC units should not leak freon,but if they do you cannot charge them properly without a set of gauges and charts or knowledge.I would recommend that you find a good hvac person that is willing to inspect the units and clean the condenser coils and properly charge each unit.Most of this should be routine maintenance for all coaches.

jack14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
tuga

Robert,

Jack has given you some good advice. There are different types of freon and they are not all compatible. Get some professional help and watch them and ask questions. Then you'll know the correct freon and how to charge the system.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
folivier

I've had the a/c guy that does my house units clean and charge my basement units. At first he was hesitant but since he was already there he looked at the coach units and said they were the same type as household units.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
jack14r

If they are house units they should take R22 freon,it is very different than R134A and is in no way compatable.
jack14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
encantotom

do not use 134a.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Hardtrigger

Cool, will have a cool guy do the work. Will watch and learn. Great advice, just looked simple enough but was not aware they were not compatible. Just seems to me that in 100 degree heat in Southwest with the three units on they are cool-cold but not very cold. Great heads up advice! Thanks, Rob
Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

They are R22. I have topped one of mine off. As others have said, you need gauges, knowledge, and R22. You need a license to purchase R22.

Start by cleaning both the condenser (in the basement bays) and the evaporator fins. Dirt will hurt the cooling. Next, measure the outlet temp by using an electronic thermometer. I use a cheap one from any kitchen section of wally world. My dometic units produce 65 to 70 degree air with 100 outside temp.

If you need more specific info, I have inlet and outlet pressures recorded in my coach log book.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
prairieschooner

I agree with Richard, you should make sure that all of the components are in good condition, cleaning the condenser Coils is an absolute must.
I have purchased refrigerant on ebay with good luck, here is a general search;
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...=p3286.c0.m359

and here is just one of the suppliers of R-22;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R22-R-22-Ref...item484231c85b

I have found that if I pay for this right away and have an ebay account that they will ship the item without question.
good luck
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Richard and Rhonda

Here are some numbers from my notes. One of the things that throws a wrench in the works is that the pressures are highly dependent on ambient temperature and somewhat humidity. That's why an AC guy just won't blurt out one set of numbers.

Anyhoo,

These readings were taken at an ambient temperature of 97 F
Low side 85 to 90 psi, on three different units. I didn't measure or write down the high side pressure. Temperature of the discharge air was 65 to 67F with the thermometer stuck in the discharge vent.

To illustrate the differences in pressure with difference in ambient temp.

These readings were taken with ambient temperature of 55 F

Low side 42 to 44 psi, high side 150 to 175 psi. I didn't measure the air discharge temp.

I can tell you that three basement units will freeze your heinie off in 100 weather. The bride likes it cool, the boys and I wear blankets in the coach in the summer.

Do keep in mind that, the compressors for each unit cycle on and off, make sure you are measuring the temperature when the compressor is actually running. Easiest way to tell is to step outside and see if the blower fan is running on that unit. On my coach, the unit behind the drivers wheel is the BR unit, the one on top in front of the drivers wheel is the middle unit, and obviously the one on bottom is the salon unit.

Hope this helps.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote