Do Newell Break Down On The Road? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
MarkofSJC

Question Do Newell Break Down On The Road?

So imagine the setting.
We're going for our dream motor home on our very first purchase. My wife had previously had experiences as a child in her uncle's old "box on wheels" back in the '70's...and the most vivid memory she has is all the numerous times the motorhome would "break" ~ coming to a complete stop in the most inhospitable places (middle of the desert in summer, on the freeway at night, etc.).

"Coaches today are far better than those ones you experienced in the '70's" I said. I think I had her almost convinced...until she watched "Kate + 8" where "they" (3 adults, 13 kids and a camera crew) go for a 14 day tour of the U.S. in two (2) RVS. I won't debate the fact that 8+ people per motor home is insanity, but in 14 days, both original motorhomes had massive failures (one had to be replaced), and even the replacement had a major issue that grounded it for a day. That's not mentioning her litany of "minor" problems while traveling...broken refrigerator door (?), microwave & TVs failed, loss of generator leaving them with no AC, the list goes on. So you can imagine the look my wife gives me as this unfolds...certainly didn't seem reliable! (I noticed they were rented from "ALL STAR" rentals ~ but none of them were Newells...so I'm hoping the story is different.)

So my question to all Newell owners is...How many breakdowns have you had in "X" years of ownership, and how much did they affect your trip and your pocket book?

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
folivier

Everything breaks. That said, I've never had a breakdown on the road with my '93. Sure, I've had maintenance issues. But I find that Newells use top quality components and construction. Most of the guys here have had other brands and came to own a Newell because they understood how well they were made. Another great feature is the 24/7/365 factory support. In 15 minutes you can be speaking to a Newell service manager.
But how the coach was maintained by the previous owner is most important (I'm assuming you're looking at used).
it's worth it to look at a few other brands then look at Newells. The quality should be obvious.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
jack14r

I have a Prevost Liberty and have had 3 Prevost and have never had a breakdown on the road,I did have a generator fail last summer,I was at a horse show in Kentucky and I purchased a generator from Lowes and that got me through 2 days until the parts were available and it was fixed.These are machines with lots of systems,just like airplanes,if an item fails there is usually redundancy which will allow us to complete the trip without the wife even knowing.
jack14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
rheavn

Mark,
I'm on my fifth coach in 30 years of motorhoming. I have put on close to 1/2 million miles in that time. I have broken down only one time that required a tow from the side of the road. The fuel pump seized and the engine stopped. It was repaired & I was back on the road in two days. This could happen to any one at any time, but this type of failure is rare and not a coach quality issue.
When I buy a coach I give myself two years to work out the little issues that may be in the coach and learn the different functions of the coach's systems. I have found the Newell systems to be straight forward & I feel totally comfortable with the coach even though I have only owned it for 1 1/2 years. The issues that the coach had when I purchased it I have been able to make the repairs myself. Right now every single system works as designed.
Since I purchased my coach I have put 25,000 miles on it. In those miles the only issues I have had that required repair was I seized a a/c compressor(was able to continue on using genset & roof airs) and a weld broke, which was easily repaired. I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip to the northeast. Upon my return I did not have a single thing to fix.
To give you and your wife more confidence in your purchase Newell is great to work with after purchase. The 24 hr/365 ability to contact Newell for assistance is wonderful. Also I assume you are looking to buy coach #1227 which would qualify for Newell's two year warranty. By the way I saw that coach at Newell in June and it is a real head turner.

Good Luck.................
Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
chockwald

We've put 20,000 miles on our 1982 Newell since March of 2008 and have only had one minor problem while on the road. While taking a rest stop in Needles, CA the coach wouldn't restart...wouldn't even turn over. Turned out to be a short in the starter trigger wire which was diagnosed in 5 minutes by the technician sent out at 2am in the morning by Good Sam ERS. Back on the road within 20 minutes after tech arrived. Had another ground wire issue while parked in front of my house, but was able to trace it down with the help or Richard Entriken and a neighbor.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
HoosierDaddy

Hi Mark,
Yes they break!! especially with age and mileage. Take an old truck and an old house and combine them and you have an old motorhome! However if the maintenence is done a break-down is rare. In 15 years with a 1978 Newell and my 1993 Newell I have only had to call a mechanic once when a power steering hose failed.
I had a rear air brake actuater fail once and drove it home (150 miles) with no problem. When I got home I took it to the shop and they installed all new brakes on the rear axle...I mean EVERYTHING . That is how you avoid on-road break-downs. Anticipate and repair ...especially safety related items.
Most motorhomes are built to a price. Occaisionally the chassis used under the m home is just adequate but not over-built for that unit. Newells tend to be over-built and have some redundency built in when possible.
I do not put much "stock" in TV shows whether "reality" or not....Hollywood tends to sensationalize everything. If Kate had been in a Newell or High end bus-conversion the story may have been too boring. B-)
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
tuga

In 20 years of owning Newells (3) I broke down once. An air line burst when we pulled over for a rest stop. I disconnected the tow car, drove to the next exit and found a little truck repair shop. I told the guy I had an air leak and I couldn't put the transmission in gear. He grabbed a tray full of air fittings and off we went. In 15 minutes he spliced a new air hose in the air line that burst. He charged $100 - I thought that was fair.

Since then I carry quick connect air hose connectors in 1/4" and 3/8" and some extra air hose of each size. You don't even need any tools to repair an air hose leak; just a sharp pocket knife.

I had 3 flat tires, but I would count that as a break-down.

I had a leaking hydraulic hose repaired at Bus Group in Slidell, LA. They did a crappy job of installing a new hyraulic fitting. On the first trip we took it burst and drained hydraulic oil in the truck stop. We were still able to travel, but we could not extend the rear slide.

I try not to call Newell emergency service too much. I try to figure things out and call them as a last resort.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
prairieschooner

I think that everyone here would agree that your question depends on how the coach is maintained. Tires, Belts, Hoses, Service and Batteries replaced in a timely manner could prevent breakdowns.
Preventative maintenance could be deemed expensive but................
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
Wally Arntzen

On my 88 I lost a transmission 6 years ago and was out of service for 2 days in Whitchita, Kansas at cost of $7000.00. Last year my differential went out at a stop sign on block from the RV park I wass going to and it took 12 hours for the right towing rig to get me and the repair to 2 days in Phoenix, Arizona at a cost of $1500.00. For the coach being 23 years old and I have driven it 125,000 miles since I got it, I love it just much as when I got it and would own nothing except another Newell if I decided to change. At this time change is not option and I am totaly comfortable taking the coach anywhere without worrying about a problem.
I sure would not get rid of my wife just because she got sick, and I would not get rid of the Newell just because it has a problem. Good luck and when you track down your problem you will love the coach like most of the rest of us.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
MarkofSJC

My deepest thanks to all of you that replied! I suspected I would see responses like this, but you hate to "play a hunch" and then discover you were wrong!

I do think the engineering design is light years ahead of any similar coach of the same (or even several succeeding) years.

I'm certain we're going to purchase a "pre-owned" coach, and determining if it was maintained "from the inside out" or just kept polished on the areas that you can see is a daunting task.

While understanding that these are complex, multi-system units and you can never catch everything, are there certain systems or areas that are either troublesome (I should go over in fine detail when examining) or tell-tale (give someone a better idea of how the entire coach was treated)?
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
HoosierDaddy

One general guideline that I use is the 20 year rule. If an appliance or system is 20 years old the potential for repair or replace is greater. A 25 year old coach that has had most systems replaced/rebuilt may be a better value than a newer model that still sports the originally installed components. Do your homework on a potential purchase...How many previous owners? Were they fulltiming? Which components have been replaced? Was it stored inside? How old are the batteries? Tires over 10 years old may have good tread but should be replaced. LOOK LOOK LOOK....Topside, underneath, inside, spend time just sittin'andstarin'. Before we bought our first Newell (a 1978) the gracious owner offered to let us stay in it overnight as it was parked in her back yard.
Dont spend all of the allocated funds on the purchase price. Consider that a percentage of the purchase price may be required to repair unknown problems after purchase ...The older the coach the more the repair fund should be. As an example...A nearly new coach will have fairly current A/V equipment. An older coach with a small TV may require an upgrade to a new flat screen TV and surround sound. If the fridge runs on LP inspect the rear side where the burner is for corrosion etc. Enjoy the hunt!!!
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

I am going to chime in with my .02.

Labor day, one year ago, I had a semi catastrophic failure in my Series 60 engine. They are not known for failure, but I drew the short straw. I cracked a cyl liner and was bubbling the coolant. I drove it two hundred miles home. Should I have driven it? Maybe yes, maybe no. I took an educated risk based on lack of significant coolant in the oil, and I crossed my fingers for the trip home. The DD held up to the trip without complaint.

I'll let others chime in of the ability of the DD engines to limp in when a compromiised situation has developed.

Breaking down in the Newell is NOT something I worry about. Like others have said, ANY motorhome, new or used, Newell or other brand, requires periodic love and care.

What most of us appreciate about the classic Newells is that parts are mostly attainable from truck supply houses, Lowe's, or the McMaster Carr/Grainger catalogs. The problems are mostly diagnosed with a digital meter, pressure gauge, or by sight. As an engineer, and as a gear head, I appreciated the simple but elegant engineering that Newell employed. No mickey mouse engineering or execution.

One more selling point is this group of people on the forum. You will not find a more willing, knowledgable, or helpful group. The collective experience and know how is invaluable.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
larryweikart

Welcome Mark. I've driven our 94 Newell 250,000 miles so far and have been down a couple of times, but thanks to Newells 24/7/365, have never been out. Left Baltimore last Monday and just arrived in Montery Ca. today. 2,965 miles and she performed flawlessly. No doubt it's a continuing education and you can't overstate the importance of preventative maintenance. Also carrying certain extra parts is a good idea. This site will prove very valuable also. Good Luck and enjoy!
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
rheavn

Mark,
Every single system on the coach is subject to breaking. HoosierDaddy's LOOK LOOK LOOK....Topside, underneath, inside, spend time just sittin' and starin'" is right on the money. If you don't feel qualified to inspect a coach inside & out hire someone who is qualified just as you would if you were buying a house. EVERY system should be looked at and run to make sure it runs as designed. On my coach I assumed there would be $20,000 worth of needed repairs on a ten year old coach. I replaced all the tires & batteries and did a complete service including every filter immediately. I then fixed other items identified during the walk thru and a few items that I didn't identify. I have spent about 1/2 the $20,000 & I have a coach that every single system works perfectly. I have bought every one of my coaches used, always dickered immediate repairs into the selling price & always had money left over.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
encantotom

i have had 3 coaches. the newell is the most reliable by far. that said, there is things that need fixin and updating and replacing occassionally.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #16
lbrachfe

We are currently stranded in Las Vegas with a HWH Level and Slide systems electronic problem. Hoping for the best when the control board comes back to me next week from HWH. Have had several "on the road breakdowns" and with 4 different coaches. You make the best of things after a 10 minute freakout..Never felt helpless and especially in a Newell, where there often is a Plan B. 2003 #646..Hope to be going by the end of the week.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
rheavn

Larry & Hedy,
Sorry to hear that you are stranded. Not to make light of your situation, but breaking down at the Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort would be my choice of anywhere in the US. I'm surprised that you have suffered a complete HWH systems failure. I had HWH leveling and slide systems on my Country Coach and now on my Newell and have not replaced a single HWH part in over ten years. In an effort to help some one in the future could you explain the system symptoms that lead to the diagnosis of the control board failure. Also have you found HWH responsive?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
folivier

Speaking of breakdowns and 10-minute freakouts, this last winter Cindy and I were driving home after a week on the Alabama coast. Right at the last exit before the Mobile tunnel I heard a loud pop and air escaping. At the same time Cindy's seat dropped. Luckily I was able to take the exit and get off the interstate. Freakout was the right term cause all I could think of was a massive leak and my brakes locking up and stranding us in the tunnel! But it ended up just being the airline to her air-ride seat that came off. I was able to use a fitting and cap it off to continue our trip. That was after I changed my pants!
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
HoosierDaddy

My '78 Newell had the old wedge-style air brakes. As I exited off of I-75 in Cincinatti, Ohio on a downhill exit ramp the brake actuator pulled off of the right rear and was hanging by the air line..It took a little more pedal pressure to stop but I wired it up to the axle and drove it home.
I had the whole rear brake system replaced with new S-cam brakes after that!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
encantotom

a buddy of mine about 15 years ago gave me the advice on motorhome travel that i have never forgot.

he said..."there ain't nothing a credit card can't fix" and i would throw in that a little creativity and patience as well.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote