When Do You Pull Over ? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Dom Ferris

Default When Do You Pull Over ?

After our purchase, I vowed not to impede faster traffic on the two lane highways. I have made it a point to pull over in the next safe place when ever three cars get behind me, sometimes I'll pull over for one if it has been following for quite some time.

Just wondering what others do,

Dom

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
MrE

I'm with you Dom, I try to treat others the way I would like them to treat me.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Neweller

Do at they do in Texas, pull the heck over! Nobody owns the road.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
David Carrol

I often find it desirable to pull over to let following vehicles pass when we are on a windy or somewhat rough road. Smaller vehicles can comfortably sustain a higher speed than I care to in those conditions - they are more nimble and don't have dishes, glasses, small appliances and such to be concerned with.

I don't have a fixed rule for getting out of the way - I just try to be courteous to whoever is behind me.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Newell Attack

It seems the law in most states says if there are more than 5 cars behind your motorhome you are supposed to pull over to let cars pass.

Typically we pull over at the places designated as pull outs whenever anyone wants to go faster than us. Especially if they are tailgating or there is a line up and it is safe for us to stop.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #6
The Newell

That's close to the law in CA. If there are "5 or more" vehicles following you, you are to turn into a turn-out or safe area to let them pass. However, it also stipulates that you are driving "slowly" - which I assume means less than the posted speed limit and normal flow at the time. Here in CA the limit is 55mph unless posted less and if you are towing "anything", or have more than two axles.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Dom Ferris

What's everyone's feeling about traveling at or over the speed limit and there is still a line a cars behind you. Do you pull over?

Also, you're on a two lane road with NO place to pull over. You get to a long straight stretch, you slow down so those behind can pass. No one passes. Do you forget about them?

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
MrE

Yes, I will still pull over if I'm traveling at or above the speed limit and there is a line of cars behind me.

When I'm on a two lane road with NO place to pull over I set my cruise control at the speed I want to go and don't worry about the cars behind. If one does pull out to pass I will kick off the cruise and let off the throttle to allow them to safely pass if I'm on flat ground or downhill. If I'm climbing a grade, they're on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Ferris View Post
What's everyone's feeling about traveling at or over the speed limit and there is still a line a cars behind you. Do you pull over?

Also, you're on a two lane road with NO place to pull over. You get to a long straight stretch, you slow down so those behind can pass. No one passes. Do you forget about them?
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
PIExpress

Since we like to save diesel, we pull over a lot. I can't believe how fast people travel these days, but then again we are retired. Anything faster than 55 mph and it is hard for us to smell the roses. The ride is often more fun than the destination. The only time we pop up into the 70s is when we are traveling with friends. Surprisingly none of our friends we have traveled with so far like to poke along the way we do. Unfortunately the price of our leisure is frequent pull overs, which I guess eats into our attempt to save fuel. My rule is when more than 3 cars/vehicles follow us, time to look for a SAFE place to pull over.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
JustDustin

I have no problem pulling over and letting others pass on by. Stay safe on the road and you'll have a good trip! Isn't that what we all want?
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Vantare

at the speed limit or above IMHO it is unsafe to slow down enough to pull over, then wait for the line to pass and then get back up to speed before the next line comes up. I'll also give the cars behind me a couple of opportunities to pass and then forget about them.

Cannondale Slice 5 Bike

2006 Prevost Vantare’ Double Slide

Steve & Annie
Vantare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
NewellCrazy

I will pull over at a convenient place whenever there are more than 4 cars behind me on a rural road or highway, or when my rig is unable to maintain posted speed limits (like on long steep inclines). On Interstates, I just try to make it obvious that I'm in no hurry by maintaining the posted speed and stay to the right lane whenever possible. That's not to say that I'll stay behind another vehicle that's even slower than me, it's just that I won't become an "obstacle" in the road for other drivers.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
FJGuard

I pull over when it's safe and convenient because I know I don't like to be in a long line of cars behind a slower vehicle/RV.
FJGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
folivier

Here's another one: when you're in the right lane on an interstate approaching an on-ramp with a vehicle on the on-ramp, do you pull into the left lane to let them in?
I usually try to do this but there are times when the traffic is heavy and faster than I drive so don't think it's safe to get into the left lane. It's easy to get stuck in the left lane if the traffic is heavy. Recently had some idiot get irate cause I didn't move over for him, of course in most cases if the vehicle would just accelerate to the interstate speed it wouldn't be a problem.
I usually drive 60-62mph
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

AS far as I am aware, the vehicle coming into the interstate should yield to the vehicle in the right lane of the interstate. I pullover when I can, but otherwise it seems safer to me to maintain my speed, especially if I am on cruise control. Perhaps some state laws vary from this, but many states have yield signs for the incoming traffic.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote