Opinions Needed! Opinions Wanted! Opinions Please! ! ! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Brian Atwood

Post Opinions Needed! Opinions Wanted! Opinions Please! ! !

Hey how's it going everyone?

I need your help. I know I have a mind of my own but I want to pick everyone elses. Here's what I am thinking. I have been out looking at dozens upon dozens of motorhomes from the basic gasser to the extreme diesel with quad slides. I have looked at several bus conversion as well. I have not seen too many diesel pushers that rock my world but I have seen a couple of bus conversion that I liked. I am leaning more towards the bus conversion but don't want to spend a half mil and up for a new conversion on an old chassis or really buy someone else's dream.

I know there are some great coach converters like Horizon Coach, Marathon ($$$$), Infinity Coach, Walker Coach, and Liberty Coach. I really like a lot of these conversion and realize there are a lot of small custom conversion company's also and here's what I'm thinking of doing. I have a shot at buying an older classic Newell Coach that has a bad engine, and the coach is very solid and extremely nice and could be updated to be just as nice or nicer than a lot of bus conversion and be an original factory made diesel pusher.
My idea would be to put a newer in-line 6 cyl diesel engine like a 450 or higher Cummins (ISL?) in it and have a restyled retro classic not like everybody else's. I don't care if it cost 20K for the engine conversion. I would be in the master piece between 60-70K and feel that would be a bargain for such a coach. I don't care about slides. I want to own something built very stout.

Has anyone done such a thing? I am looking for input and ideas from everyone. Some will think I'm nuts and others might think it's a neat idea. I am not worried about resale value and realize that it will probably be worth less than I'm in it, but who really knows?
What's your take? Share your crazy thoughts and if you know someone who has done something similar or is thinking the same I'd sure like to know.

Thanks,
Brian Atwood

Brian Atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

You did not give us enough information. What year is it, how many miles, what engine does not work. I seriously doubt you can refit with a Cummins 450 without extensive modification, including the transmission and differential, and cost. $20k is unrealistic and I would seriously consider replacing the bad engine with a rebuild just like it.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Neweller

You could stuff a Cummins 6BT 5.9L in there way easier than a Detroit 60 series. The 60 series is supposedly longer than a 8v92. With the longer engines you will have to move the radiator to the side. If you're doing the conversion yourself you could pull it off for that kind of money. I have helped do one a few years back and it turned out pretty darn good. It got pumped up on the torque and horsepower and is now living life as a hacienda in Mexico with an ocean view.

I know of at least two other owners and another prospective owner with similar ideas. Two of them are sitting with blown 8v92's. I don't know if your looking at one of these coaches or not? Anyone seriously interested, I could compile a list of resources to speed along the process and trim some fat off your shopping list.

Another great source for engine swaps is Southern Oregon Diesel. Those boys have been upgrading power plants with newer Cummins engines stuffed inside of MCI's, Prevost, GMC's, and Eagle's for years now. Ten years ago they quoted me like $26k to convert a 6v92 over to a remand Cummins.

Like Chester mentioned above it would help to know what year we are talking about. Paying to have it done nowadays may not be feasible. You would have to way out cost compared to moving up to a newer Newell with a 60 series. I'm not going to knock the idea. People do this kind of stuff all the time but most are gear heads with a nice shop and equipment. With your own time, labor and parts sourcing it could be a neat project. You may get a whole lot of customers wanting theirs done too.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
jack14r

Why go to the trouble,I have seen 1997-1999 Prevost Featherlite conversions with only 100,000 miles sell for $120,000 this vintage has a series 60 with the Allison 6 speed.I am certain that you can find Marathons in the 140 range and Libertys for a little more.Not only do you have a product that is supported but one that you can resell if you so desire.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
prairieschooner

Look at this one, a little purple but a great coach!
Looking in all the wrong places!!!$100k
Attached Images
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
ccjohnson

Just go with a rebuilt 8V92. Stewart Stevenson Detroit Diesel in El Paso quoted us +/- 20K installed. Comes with warranty. Spend the difference at Newell on upgrades!
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
NewellCrazy

Hi Clint,

I was curious, Did you rebuild your engine ?

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Randy J

Welcome Brian!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Neweller

We need some serious gear heads around here. Sure a lot of them over at the bus forums and they are willing to take a wore out over the road bus and gut the thing,

completely go through the running gear or do a transplant and then completely turn it into an RV with 10,000 plus hours in it. Not sure why more folks don't do the

same with a Newell. If the wrenching thing is in your blood just do it! I know a guy who did all this with an old school bus and had like 7 years of just about every

weekend and many evenings plus $37,000 invested into it and many would say he's a crazy son of a gun or worse. But, the thing is, he loves the heck out of that

thing and probably happier than a lot of rvers on the road. He told me, it doesn't matter what hes in the thing, he loves it and especially the simplicity of everything

put into the design. If you went inside it would blow your mind how nice it is. To him it is what he wanted and in personal value, priceless!
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
prairieschooner

Some of us do. If you would have seen our '82 when we 1st got it, it was sad.
$13K later in materials and allot of sweat equity we have a dependable coach. I do all of my own work on the coach so I would only have myself to blame.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
ccjohnson

Sean,
Ours still runs great only 150K on it. I was just asking them when we had coach in to get PM done on tranny.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Brian Atwood

Thanks for the response all. I have some things to chew on for a while...
Brian Atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
jack14r

Actually I think that I was a little high,I would reduce the prices by at least 20K.