V692DD More Horsepower - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
Rich Farr

Default V692DD More Horsepower

We own 1979 Newell 38' with 6V92 Detroit Diesel (285 HP) and Allison 654 (5 speed). Family likes to travel great Northwest, including Yellowstone, and it uses all 285 HP in those mountains. I know some versions of the 6V92 can deliver up to 380 HP with turbocharger. Is there any practical way to extract a few more HP without adding complexities of a turbo charger? Appreciate any/all comments. Thanks in advance.

Rich Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #2
Jon Kabbe

I took a look at my Detroit Diesel Service Manual and couldn't find anything definitive, but section 12 shows certified turbo engines starting at about 240 hp, so I doubt that you can get much more out of a non-turbo engine than you are getting. You can't just add a turbo to your engine since compression ratios change as does the blower ratio. I would check with a DDC dealer to verify what is possible with your existing engine, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Then you also need to determine the hp rating of the transmittion, that may be a limitation as well.
Jon Kabbe is offline   Reply With Quote