maximum water pressure allowed - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
David Carrol

Default maximum water pressure allowed

What is the maximum water pressure one should allow in the water pipes of our coach.

If I am connected to a rv park campground faucet, what is the highest water pressure I should use before putting a water pressure regulator onto the hose.

I don't know if I have a water pressure regulator built in or not which is why I'm asking and I just don't want to burst any pipes.

Thanks for any info.

David Carrol

Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
The Newell

Hi David,

Most recommend nothing over 60 lbs. which is about house pressure. When in doubt, use a pressure reducer on the hookup. Or do not open the supply valve far enough to create a problem. Both will keep you out of trouble.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
prairieschooner

On my '82 we have a pressure regulator to keep the water pressure below 40 psi. I think that the Shurflo is at around 35 psi. I wouldn't go up to 60 psi on my '82 even though it most likely could take it since the design pressure is below 40 psi.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
1993Newell

Good thinking, great question. When in doubt find out the answer first because it will save you lots of time, hassle and money!

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
fulltiming

My 1992 is marked that the built-in regulator is set to 35 psi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NewellWaterBay1992.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	2930
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
lbrachfe

60 to 70 lbs is max for most plumbing in the coach. pressure regs are set at 45lbs
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
The Newell

Pressure or Flow - What's the Problem?

Many people don't understand the difference between pressure and flow, but you need to in order to solve your problem. "Flow" is a measure of volume of water delivered in a period of time. The poor shower is caused by low flow, as are most other RV water supply problems. "Pressure" is a measure of the force of the water, and it is measured when no water is flowing ("static" pressure). It is true that for a given plumbing system, the higher the pressure, the better the flow. However, there is a practical limit to increasing pressure to improve flow.

Don't Let Your Pressure Get Too High

RV plumbing systems are usually tested to a pressure of about 100 to125 pounds per square inch (psi), but to prevent warranty problems, RV manufacturers may recommend only 40-50 psi. Unfortunately, this may not provide the shower you're looking for. Most house plumbing operates at about 60psi, and this can be adequate for RVs, too. If your water supply pressure is approaching 100 psi, you are risking an expensive failure of your plumbing system. You should limit your pressure to 60-85 psi to be safe, and to do that, you can install a pressure regulator
Attached Images

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
MiracleJ

I use a pressure reducer regardless of where we are (including at my house). I always put the regulator at the spigot to protect the hose. Mine is preset at 50 pounds. I have seen water pressure at a campsite over 100 pounds. The cheap box store brass pressure regulators that I have seen are preset at 40 pounds. Most significantly reduce the flow, making it seem like there is no pressure.