Radiant Floor Heating - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
GringoPhil

Default Radiant Floor Heating

Is it not possible to have some very simple system run that utilizes the heat from the engine when running and heat from the water heater when parked? Both systems could heat the rv as a whole or the hot water for personal use. It seems a simple in line pump could keep things moving along. I guess my question is why Aqua Hot has to collect $4000 for this type of system? Just let me know what might be possible that would be less than $4000 and still offer radiant heat - if there is such a thing.

GringoPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
The Newell

You don't need to spend a bunch of money on a Aqua-hot just to provide radiant heat. You can then add heat exhangers as needed in the cabin and in the bays also if you want heated bays. A flat plate heat exchanger can be used to get heat from the engine into the coolant for the radiant heat.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
btmoore

I have had hydronic radient heating like what you all are referring to and recently installed in my latest home an electric type of radient tile. Don't know how pratical an all electric system would worlk out? Maybe another option for much less money depending on your needs.
btmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Neweller

My next coach will surely have radiant heating. There are pros and cons to both electric and hydronic. Electric works best with hard stone surfaces and not well with heavy carpets or vinyl. Electric can be an issue if there is a break somewhere and the only course of repair is to pull the whole floor up and in a moving home like a motorcoach, that could arise. I prefer electric in a lot of applications in the home am too looking at the option for a coach. Hydronic has to have water moving through it, in order to function, so you need a hot water heater or boiler of sorts to manage water temps and movement. Hydronic will require more space between finish flooring and subflooring vs. electric. With hydronic as long as you have a source to heat water, you have heat, whether its helped through the engine, electricity via shore power or genset, and propane. Either way you go, I would recommend a secondary heat source.

There are some other things to note, but I'll let others chime in more.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Randy J

Phil if there is such a thing in that price range. I'd like to know about it. During these cold winter months radiant heating would sure be nice. I'm glad were not where it's snowing!

Leeann

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote