Ping Tanks Ridewell suspension systems - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
davidmbrady

Default Ping Tanks Ridewell suspension systems

Folks,

I been speaking with Ridewell trying to sort out coach suspension and ride quality. You may know that Blue Bird Wanderlodges use the same Ridewell suspension systems that Newell has used for many years. I learned that one of the reasons Prevosts ride well is because they use ping tanks. A ping tank is an air pressure tank that's placed between the height control valve and the air spring. The connection from the ping tank to the air spring is short in length and large in inside diameter, something like 3/4". What this does is it creates and 'effective' air spring air volume that's larger than the air spring by itself. Air can quickly pass between the air spring and the ping tank such that they behave as a system. The result is that the effective spring constant and resonant frequency is reduced, sometimes halved resulting in a more compliant and insulated ride quality. My BB doesn't use ping tanks. Do you guys know if Newell uses ping tanks on their coaches?

Thanks,
David
'02 Blue Bird Wanderlodge, LXi

davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Yes, Newell uses ping tanks just like you described. They are welded into the chasis as squares. There are one each for front right and left, one each for drive right and left, and one which is divided into two sections for the tag.

They are plumbed exactly as you described. The HCV feeds the ping tank, and the ping tank is connected to the air bags with what looks to be about a 1 inch diameter hose.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
davidmbrady

Hi Richard,

That's very interesting, thanks. Do you know what Ridewell suspension is used on your coach? My 2002 Wanderlodge LXi uses the RAS-227 steer axle and RADT-246 drive/tag combo suspension systems. I'm about to get on the phone with Ridewell to see if they offer a kit that I can fit on my coach. Another approach might be to call Newell parts to see what's available. Most likely new air springs will be required too. I'm thinking that my existing air springs may not have a suitably sized air inlet to handle a 1/2" NPT input. 1/2" NPT is about 3/4" ID and 1" OD. This is the size tubing the p-buses use and I suspect Newell uses the same. Of course, the bump stop within the air spring is a question too. Here's my air spring data. Do you know what you use?

Steer axle:
Ridewell: 1003589457C
Firestone: W01-358-9457
Goodyear: 1R11-151

Drive axle:
Ridewell: 1003589459C
Firestone: W01-358-9459
Goodyear: 1R11-152

Tag axle:
Ridewell: 1003589595C
Firestone: W01-358-9595

Thanks,
David
'02 Blue Bird, Wanderlodge, LXi
Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

I have to get under there this weekend anyway, so I'll take some pics and get the data you are looking for.

Your idea on the hose sounds about right. I'll pay attention the size of the inlet fitting.

On a big side trip, the engineering department where I was trained had a real, real old school head of department. He kept a time honored tradition of a weekly test for the engineers on typical engineering parts. A table of twenty different fittings, valves, meters, pipes, and such would be laid out. On Friday, a test was given on ten of them. You had to know by sight the part, the size, the threads, and the material. I can still eyeball 1/2 NPT.

There is a Newell in Flat Rock that has been for sale for years. You ought to go finagle a drive in it to see if it truly rides better than your rig. I always think other peoples coaches ride and drive better than mine, till I get behind their wheel.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
davidmbrady

Richard,

It's those early lessons that stay with us forever. When I was a young engineer, EE, my mentor would sit me down with a silicon wafer and a microscope and ask me what I was looking at. Sometimes it was a ring oscillator other times a shift register, maybe an accumulator, maybe a memory cell, always interesting and unforgettable!

Thanks for taking some pics if you can.

David Brady
'02 Blue
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
NewellCrazy

If anyone has part numbers and pictures to show that would be awesome.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
ccjohnson

Microphor railroad, marine, RV and bus plumbing products, Microflush low flow toilets, heads, faucets, waste systems, custom manufacturing, roadside weed sprayers will get you to parts list when some drill down. 800-358-8280 is phone. I had to replace my cam.

XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote