New Wood Flooring - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #21
fulltiming

Great work Kim. I chose to install mine side to side rather than the more conventional front to rear since I replaced everything from the dash to the bed but your installation looks fabulous. Congratulations on an excellent job. The stairwell cover looks terrific.

I did not allow quite enough room for expansion in a couple of places and will have to remove and replace about 4 planks that have started to buckle from the lack of adequate free space around the edge. I have an uninterrupted run of laminate for 39'. Oh well, live and learn.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #22
SharkRacing

Kim and Kim Corrigall, It would be great for a lot of people if you could post about it right here in this forum. That would be much better for the multitudes.

Thanks for your consideration.

2005 45' Quad Slide
Featherlite Enclosed

The rest is too long to list.
SharkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
KimnKim

Wink

Richard...the material is Gunstock Oak - Golden Select. Purchased it through Costco. The installation process was quite simple and, given the relatively minimal square footage of the overall floor space, relatively manageable. You need to pre-drill 45 degree holes through the tongue (2 holes for short and medium boards, 3 for longs) using a bit with a coutersink bud. The screws to use are coated deck screws (these have very small diameter head size - barely larger than the shaft of the screw itself). I used 2-1/4 inch, I believe. The screw is installed so that its finished depth is just below the 'V' at the intersection of the board and its tongue...in other words, allowing for the groove of the next board to fully mate with the tongue of the board you've already screwed into place. Once a center line is established and the guide coarse is laid, it's simple row over row progression until, of course, you run into the many, many nooks, crannies and curves of the Newell. A note of interest...you will likely have to begin in a spot that is not adjacent to a wall or fixture. In mine, it was the top of the stairwell which is essentially in the middle of the coach. So, in order to construct coarses on either side of the original coarse, you will need to cut some material to duplicate the size of the tongue so that you can turn the grooved edge of the first coarse into another tongue. That can be glued into place when the opposite coarse is ready to be laid.

Regarding allowance for expansion/contraction, I managed to find opportunities under the dinnette, in closet door openings and by installing a kick plate under the kitchen counter, allowing an eighth inch spacing there. In some spots however, it simply wasn't possible. I will have to wait and see the effects of a full four seasons for the results.

The bathroom cabinets are the only laminated surface within the coach that didn't see a coat of paint. And, to be honest, if the shower/tub hadn't been 'Dusty Rose', it would have been changed as well. It retrospect, we are delighted with the final appearance of the bathroom.

Finally, I'm a Canuck who purchased a long time Texas coach (first owner was NY State).

Tom...what a small world. The rest reading this are going "Crossfield, Lethbridge, what the...?" Once I figure out what private messaging is, I'll shoot you a note. Would be grateful to hear of your experiences.

Michael...sometimes you just have to go for it, don't you? Thirty nine feet of laminate is a hefty project though.

I've delighted in reading of your many experiences throughout this site and appreciate the insight I, and many others, derive from your penchant for sharing. Thank you.

And thank you all for your kind words and making a 'newby' feel welcomed.

See further attached photos of my Texas Treat as it was on the PPL lot in Houston a year ago last month.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12446-1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	23   Click image for larger version

Name:	12446-3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	24   Click image for larger version

Name:	12446-10.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	25   Click image for larger version

Name:	12446-6.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	26   Click image for larger version

Name:	12446-11.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	27  

Coach #186
1987 Wide Body - Transplanted Texas Longhorn, eh!
KimnKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Richard and Rhonda

Kim,

Thanks for the detail. The use of "finish" screws with the small heads certainly allows you to essentially use them in the same way that flooring nails would have been used. Great idea on predrilling the holes.

The coach looks great, another fine example of the product withstanding the test of time.

I think I told the other guys, but I had the chance to go in a 2009 Newell this summer. Guess what the floors were? That's right, it wasn't marble or carpet.

When the weather cools off here, I am going to get started on mine.

Welcome to the merry band. We love to hear about your coach adventures.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #25
Neweller

Wow is right! Kim and Kim it it truly is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 AM   #26
Luvolekars

On the 90's coaches with the rounded corners, what is the best way to install the laminate? I have never used anything other then the traditional 1/4 round trim
Luvolekars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #27
fulltiming

I just tried to cut mine as close to the original curve as possible but allowing sufficient space for expansion (worked except the bath that I will be redoing to allow an extra 1/8") with non-hardening caulk in the seam will work.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #28
folivier

This might work for trimming the floor: http://www.armstrong.com/commfloorin...sp?item_id=386
I've seen it on commercial tile floors, the right color might work for you?
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #29
Ernie Ekberg

If you happen to install engineered wood, those rounded corners can be made to fit. Sometimes, since this material has a tongue and groove, you may have to shave off the bottom groove or tongue.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #30
JohnC

I have been in Mike's coach and the floors are gorgeous
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #31
fulltiming

Thanks John.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740