First motorhome purchase with questions concerning newell bus floorplans - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Bluestraveler

Default First motorhome purchase with questions concerning newell bus floorplans

Okay here's the deal!

We are a family of 6 looking to full time on the road. We are currently shopping for an rv and our search has brought us to the Newell Bus.

What we're thinking:

Bunk beds practically mandatory
Diesel Pusher best for full timing
35-40FT Coach
outside tv and entertainment package
2 slide outs
2 bathrooms

Any idea's? Does newell make a motor coach that could possibly work for our family?

Thanks a bunch for any ideas!

Kirk & Lisa

Bluestraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
fulltiming

Newell has made a few coaches recently with a pair of bunk beds although all of the ones I have seen are 4 slide models and are 45'.

If you are looking for a new coach, Newell will work with you to build a unit with 2 slides, bunk beds, 1-1/2 baths and outdoor entertainment package in a 40'.

Bunk beds are more typically found in an entertainer coach but those typically would not be set up for full timing (typically a mini-kitchen rather than a full size kitchen).

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Neweller

Kirk and Lisa, welcome to the Newell talk forum! It is great you are considering a Newell Coach. Like fulltiming stated above, the factory would be glad to build you what you need.

A dozen years ago I was on a similar hunt for a bus conversion with a partial bunk set-up and seen quite a few entertainer buses that would have worked but most were missing the larger kitchen area like Michael stated above. Down in California I had looked at a MCI 8 conversion that had pull down bunks above the couches in the living room and it had a nice sized kitchen. The owner of the bus had inherited a tour line bus company from his father and was selling this nice older conversion that was his father personally used for family and some business use. If the guy would have taken my offer I would have owned it and probably would have never bought a Newell. All said and done, I'm glad I bought a Newell.

After I acquired my first Newell that was a '78, I wanted to do a similar conversion in the living as the new coach had no cabinetry above the sitting areas. Make a long story short I never did it and wish I would have. That's another story.

I guess the point of my story is you always have the option of having modifications done on a existing floor plan or DIY. Depending on your skills could be a fun project. I'm kind of looking for that deal where I can make changes and pull off my own sweat equity. Its got to be less work than the house project I've taken on.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Bluestraveler

I was hoping to find a used bus or motor home that already fits the bill. I don't mind a little modification I can do the work, what if we go with 2 couches and scrap the bunk beds I am not particularly fond of entertainer coaches and prefer a larger kitchen. Do the dinettes in newells make into a bed in the same manner as other class a's?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
fulltiming

Typically, Newell dinettes do not make into beds. There may have been some special ordered to do that but I have not seen one although that is a change that can be made at a later time if you are industrious, know a good cabinet maker or have Newell customize it for you. Two couches is a common layout in Newells. To get a length of less than 40' can be a challenge. There are a few. Encantotom has a 38' 1990 for sale that has twin couches up front but only has 1 bath and no slides. The bath and a half didn't start in Newells until the late 1990's and that is when slides became available on Newell's also. However, by that time, few Newells were made other than 45' since there was little price advantage to making them shorter. There are a few post-1997 Newells that are 40' and have slides but they don't show up for sale often and I have never seen one with a bath and a half. Each Newell is a little different but in general, 2 slides started in 1998 and were fairly common thru 2002. After 2002, most Newells had either 3 or 4 slides although a occasional 2 slide Newell was made through 2005 (maybe later but I am not personally aware of one). Bath and a half also started in 1998 and is the typical floorplan offered now.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Dom Ferris

Hi

I know this will be your first motor home, but I can't imagine 6 people living full time in a Newell, especially if some of them are children. This might work for a month or two, but I doubt it will work over a long period of time. There just isn't enough room for 6 people in a newell in my opinion.

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
lbrachfe

Agree that 6 in any coach full time is not going to work long term or maybe even more than a couple of weeks.
Father of 4 girls and 6 Grands and I attest to the fact that they would be talking to me even less than they do now.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
Bluestraveler

Ok what do u suggest? We need something that sleeps at least 6, is big enough for us, that can take on mountains and pull a landrover discovery.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Newell Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraveler View Post
Ok what do u suggest? We need something that sleeps at least 6, is big enough for us, that can take on mountains and pull a landrover discovery.

I know that you need to draw your own conclusions so I would start by going to a RV show in your area. If there are no shows in your area, go to a large RV dealer in your area. Try to picture where each of you would sleep, even with modifications to the RV.

If you live in a warm area, rent one similar to one you liked at the RV show for a week or two.

IMHO, due to lack of living space and storage, I just don't think that it will work for 6 people no matter what type of RV you like, but you must be the one to decide.

I went ahead and Private messaged you my contact info

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Richard and Rhonda

My coach must have been built for a family with a lot of children or guests. Two couches, which would sleep four children, two retractable bunks over the couches which would sleep two more, and a full size dinette which makes into bed, which would sleep one or two.

For a while Newell special built some unique bunks which folded into the ceiling while not in use. They had parallelogram arms on the walls and cable from the ceiling. Holland in Michigan had one for a long time for sale.

Wow, six in a motorhome fulltime. That's a challenge friend. Rent something, any thing, first, and then step back and take inventory.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
NewellCrazy

Kirk & Lisa,

Is this what your looking for? I know that Newell Coach has a handful of clients who always order their Newell's with bunks to accomodate their kids and this is one of them. What is your budget ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	newellbunks2013.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	520.3 KB
ID:	2800

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
Neweller

This is one slick set-up. I would like to have had this a few years ago. The Newell Coach factory was just showing me one being built right now for a race car driver with 5 bunks to accommodate his kids.

Truly amazing how with this many bunks the factory can create tons of room and adequate storage, in a Newell. A larger family can enjoy life in comfort while living on the road. Now that's "Newell Style"!

Ken

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 09-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Gone Busing

That really is a neat deal. I have seen bunks sort of like that in a bus conversion but is was an entertainer. Is that what this is or a fullblown live in coach?

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
fulltiming

Newell predominately builds these for customers that want to take their children (typically grandchildren) with them when they travel.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
1993Newell

Sean those are some pretty bunks, luxury for children in the Newell coach! What year is that Newell?

Micheal I love my grandchildren but I don't think I'd want custom bunks made for them in my coach. In my opinion it would be a waste of space, since they aren't with us all the time. I think the bunks are much more suitable for people who have children, an immediate family who would be traveling together.

That's the grand thing about being grandparents, you can give them back to their parents when you're done!

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
Neweller

According to Newell Coach there have been several built like this one for Nascar, Indy and other racers who have their whole families touring with them during racing season. Some drivers have babies on up to teenagers on tour with them. These size bunks will actually accommodate adults for the most part. I have laid in these and could sleep no problem. Kind of reminds me of the good ole Navy days.

Ken

-Bob Marley