Newell Coach Front-end alignment - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Dom Ferris

Default Newell Coach Front-end alignment

I’m getting ready for my trip to Maine and I need a front-end alignment.
A friend of a friend who works at the local freightliner shop says to use this little garage that does the alignment out side with lasers and is the best around.
I’m thinking of calling the local rv dealer and have it done inside their shop.
What do you guys think I should do??

Dom Ferris

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
The Newell

I'd use the little shop the friend brags about if ya trust him! Sometimes the little low tech places are really the best I know my alignment guy is the best there is in our area but you wouldn't have a clue without someone telling you about them! Just my 2 cents worth, which if ya add $3.68 to it you'll have enough to buy a gallon of fuel! LOL

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
tuga

I am planning to use Newell for my front end alignment. I have an appointment in late September.

My experience has been that they do a better job because they understand how the coach is made. Maybe I'm all wet but I feel better having them do it. Adjusting the ride height is also an important part of the alignment.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
lbrachfe

Newell is where I would go for alignment too, as long as it is a reasonable distance when needed and having the ride height adjusters replaced is about a $500 job and Newell suggests it in the PMI annually. I agree w/Tuga that they both should be done at the same time if alignment is needed.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Dom Ferris

Considering my location I would need to head south a few states to Newell then out to Maine. Question being if I was to take that route how much tire damage/loss would the poor alignment cause over just taking care of it at a local shop.

Dom

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
lbrachfe

Call Newell and see if they can find someone for you locally. I have had them refer me to approved techs in the past year and they must know a bunch of shops around the country that do good work. Just a thought, but they do know what is best in most situations
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

Try the local shop. Any decent shop can align a straight axle front end and set the ride height valves. They are really no different than any air bag suspension truck.

Here is something to be aware of when using a road truck alignment shop. Tell the guy to set the toe in at 1/8 to 1/4. The truck boys set them up at neutral to maximize tire wear. I assure you that the coach will not drive well unless it has some toe in. You'll never wear out the tires anyway.

I aligned mine with lasers and a home made trammel. I then stopped my Newell on my journey, paid them 600 bucks to tell me it was dead on. It is not rocket science.

That being said, the later models with ZF suspensions, Independent Front Suspension, and steerable tags would be much trickier to set up and I would take that kind of rig to Newell.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote