Our first coast to coast - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
David and Teresa

Default Our first coast to coast

Well, we've just returned in our first 5000+ mile trip in our Newell. It was a great trip with only a couple of mishaps.

We left Orlando and drove as quickly as we could to Houston. We didn't want to see what we've seen many times before. After visiting San Antonio, we took secondary roads south and up to El Paso. Then through New Mexico (White Sands, wow!), into Arizona, over to California and up CA 95 into Las Vegas. Then we went to Williams, AZ and took the train up to the Grand Canyon. Then I-40 over to Memphis. Made the mandatory Graceland tour which everybody should do once (like Vegas). Then, drove home on secondary roads through Mississippi, Alabama, etc. Except for Vegas and Williams, we didn't have reservations and stopped and stayed where ever we saw something that interested us.

About 30 miles outside Vegas, we lost the air regulator and air pressure to everything but the brakes. We limped into the Vegas KOA and had a local mobile mechanic come out. He had us up in an hour or so. He did such a good job I had him make a replacement part for the Howard steering assist. The plastic tube showing fluid level was cracked and leaked. He made a brass replacement and a custom dip-stick for checking levels. Then, outside Williams, the cab AC compressor froze and threw the belts. With a compressor hard to find in the desert, we had a shorter belt put on just to run the alternator to get us home. Other than that, the coach was a breeze to drive, the engine and transmission were consistent. We averaged 8.25 MPG for the whole trip, which I thought was pretty good. I consider myself an excellent driver now.

David & Teresa

1999 Newell 45' Coach #513
David and Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Thanks for the details, and glad you had a good trip.

My ac compressor did the same thing once. A couple of things to keep in mind as you have it repaired. One, keep those shorter belts on board in case it happens again. Two, the compressor locking up probably spit some debris into the system. Do have it flushed and the expansion valve cleaned or replaced. The particles will eventually stop up the orifice in the expansion valve and you have to tear into the system again. The system holds about 4 and half pounds of 134a.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
David and Teresa

Will do. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
chockwald

David....how many days was your 5,000 mile trip?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
David and Teresa

We were gone for two weeks. I had a trade show in Vegas which justified the trip. Going that far that fast is not my preferred way of traveling, but it was easier in a Newell. Each state we traveled through deserves a month to explore. Hopefully we can do it that way in the future.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
fulltiming

Over 5000 miles in two weeks with time for some sightseeing is really picking them up and putting them down. Hopefully, the experience will just further enhance your desire to travel in your Newell and demonstrate the quality that Newell builds into there coaches. Will things fail from time to time, yep!! Are most of them fairly easily to resolve, right again.

Most states do deserve at least a month. Actually most states deserve several months. Now you have a new objective.

Glad you got the Howard Power Steering Centering unit repaired. I found the one I had on a previous (non-Newell) RV to be very helpful out on the desert during crosswinds.

What was the cause of the air leak?
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
chockwald

David, that is a lot of ground you covered in 2 weeks.....we just finished doing 3600 miles in 18 days, and I wished we had more time to slow down. Glad the trip went well with only a couple of minor problems!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
David and Teresa

The leak was with the air regulator; in my coach on a firewall in the engine compartment. One possible clue to the leak was weeks earlier the toilet would hold the water. It would leak out over a day. I thought there might be a way to increase the air pressure to the flapper to keep the seal tight. I was unable to find an adjustment.

Now with the air fixes the toilet holds the water. A lot to learn with a complicated machine.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Wally Arntzen

David, on my coach I have an air preasure control valve and air preasure guage in the compartment below the toilet. I had a sudden air leak about 5 monthes ago and discovered that the air preasure control valve went bad. I got a new one and now carry a spare one because the control valve is used for the tag axel air bags.
The air preasures for the toilet on my coach is 60 pounds and the tag 40 pounds.
Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
David and Teresa

Thanks. I'll check to see if I have a similar set-up.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
Wally Arntzen

Dave, I made a mistake on my last message. I have a seperate preasure valve and guage for the toilet and another one for the tag axel. I got the preasure control valves at Granger's for about 16 bucks apeice.

Wally

Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote