Macerator pump and overide switch - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Hardtrigger

Default Macerator pump and overide switch

I have 4-5 switches I would like to know when to put to use. Macerator switch does what and when do you use it please? Switch two is the overide switch below macerator switch, what is it and when to use. Third switch is air compressor switch, is this a seperate compressor then the engine compressor or the same and when do you need to use please? Swich four is three way rocker switch battery merge switch, purpose of switch and when is it needed please?

Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
encantotom

ok, i will try to explain this.

1. macerator. it is a poo pump. i have one and use it frequently. it allows you to empty your poo tank into a sewer drainout. i use the one in front of my house. you hook a hose (i suggest dedicated) to the valve in the wet bay coming off the poo tank, and you may or may not have a valve, then the switch turns on the macerator grindage pump to grind up the waste and pump it through the hose. i use gray 3/4" hose i bought just for it. i can do my tank in 10-15 min. it is handy to dump instead of finding a dumping spot. btw, it is a powerful pump and you can spray poo grindage a longgg way if you are not careful.

2. merge switch. 3 positions. this controls merging the two sets of batteries and which set controls the solenoid to do the merging. middle is both sets of batteries (house and engine) separate. up and down will both merge both banks of batteries. the only difference is which set of batteries provides the voltage to flip the solenoid to merge the two banks. you ask why be able to do it both ways? one set of batteries powers the genny and one the coach engine. (plus other stuff). if the house batteries are dead and the genny wont start, you can merge the batteries and use the engine batteries to start the genny. vice versa. in the other position you can use the house batteries to start the coach engine if those are dead. there is much more to this and if you do a search on this site you will find out why else to use it.

3. override switch. this is essentially the switch to override the ddec from shutting off your engine if it has detected an overheat condition. at first the orange light will come on the dash and then the red one and then you have seconds to either pull over or use the overide switch to give you a little more time and hope you dont toast the engine.

4. compressor. you will have a 110v compressor somewhere. in mine it is in the compartment in front of the drivers front wheel. in others in the genny area, in others in other bays. if will maintain air pressure when parked and not on engine air. you need air for a variety of things as i am sure your know. you have to be plugged in or on genny power for it to work.

i am sure someone else can be more eloquent so i look for clarifications by others.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
chockwald

Tom, I think you explained the various switches quite eloquently!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
RussWhite

Tom,

Just so you will know we are paying attention......

Things change over the years and by 1999 there are some more options on question #4. My main electric air compressor is among the items on the inverter sub-panel. So it runs when the inverter is on also. In addition I have a 12vdc air compressor that will run even if I turn the inverter off. It suppies air for the critical pocket doors and toilets.

Glad you had a safe trip back home.
Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
encantotom

yea, admittedly i am in the dark ages yet....

i knew about the 12v compressor. is it controlled by that same switch on the drivers console?

tom

Old 10-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
RussWhite

My two compressor switches are located side by side on the panel above the microwave. Normally 115vac compressor is on and the 12vdc compressor is off.

Funny, I was changing out the filter on the air dryer a couple days ago and wanted to drain all the air tanks before doing that. I turned the compressor off, or so I thought, and drained the air and went to work. Some time later I looked at the pressure gauge and it was back to 80 psig - what is going on? Turmns out, I had turned off the main water pump, not the main air compressor. Switches are close and labels could be better, but still my mistake. That little dentist sized compressor that is so quiet I cannot hear it running managed to completely fill all the tanks in a very short time. I was very impressed. I will be more careful next time. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
encantotom

russ, btw, i put the trucker style pull wire on my 3 main big tanks.

the wire pull i drilled a hole in the back bay back wall and the same in the front bay. the pulls are in the bays and i just open the bay and tug on the cord till they bleed off and let go. very easy and fast. it is the same thing truckers use.
they are ten to twelve dollars apiece. they are all 1/4" npt. take out the current drain valve, screw these in (and they have a pivot that the cable attaches to) and route the cable.

tom

Old 10-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
encantotom

http://www.rydersafetyservices.com/r...oductDetail.do

this is where i bought the pull drain valve

tom

Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Hardtrigger

Tom, the explanations were clear and I thank you very much!

Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote