new granite flooring - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
encantotom

Default new granite flooring

hi all,

i am in the demo stage of taking up all the old tile and carpet and putting in new granite and carpet. what i have appears to be the original. the tiles had ZERO cracks after 18 years and i find that amazing. what i found more amazing is that the subfloor is actually a full 2" thick. made up of 4, 1/2" pieces of plywood. no wonder it feels so solid.

now i have a few decisions to make like what underlayment to use for the granite etc.

i am open to suggestions on the underlayment, thinset and grout if any of you have any experience with that in your coach.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
Wally Arntzen

Hi Tom, It looks like the top 1/2" plywood is seperating a little. I would put 1 1/2" screws approx 8" apart throughout the floor and make sure you countersink them into the top lamenant. Go to the Tile Shop or some other tile supplier and inform them that you want to put the tile onto the plywood and they will give you the proper adeheisive. It looks like Newell put the original onto the plywood and it held up well. The tile supplier will also sell you spacers for the grout seperation which you need decide what size grout line you want. I assume you will use 12x12 tiles and you can go with 1/8th or 1/4 grout lines.

Gool luck and if you have any questions call me about how to lay it out to start your patern. You have my number.

Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Bro. Dilly

I too have thought of upgrading my flooring. I have no clue as to how thick or even what kind of sub-floor my '78 coach has and how to proceed with the same sort of upgrade. I do believe that flooring is a great improvement idea and would really like to do something similar.

Something else I am wondering is the added weight to a coach when installing something like natural stone. I don't want to loose available cargo weight or add stress to my coach structure if ever a possible issue?
Bro. Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
encantotom

i ended up taking the removable furniture out, couches, cockpit chairs, end tables, dinette, and stripped and sanded the floor. i am not worried about the weight as it really isnt that much incremental over the tile.

i have stripped the walls and am re wallpapering, new flooring, new upholstery on the valences, new strips of color in the corian counters, etc. pretty much updating the whole interior.

i have upgraded all the electronics with hdtv's, home theatre, cameras, monitors etc.

i am also doing new cellular blinds and drapes. getting it all ready to go on a summer adventure up and down the west coast.

i am doing it all myself. not sure i know how to do everything, but i figure it out as i go. lots of help from this forum and the wanderlodge forum.

tom

Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
ikcandco

«~» Seems your doing a huge job !

«~» Tom as work is in progress, you should 'Take Loads of Photos' with different angles.

«~» Certain 'Magazine' or 'Website' might be looking for this type of work and improvements.

«~» They might even through $$$$ ! Who Knows ! . .

«~» Hope everything goes as you would like to.
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 1999c What's this?
ikcandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
encantotom

i have tons of pictures on the various things i have done and am doing. if anyone wants them i can send them to them privately, just let me know.

tom

Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
The Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom
i have tons of pictures on the various things i have done and am doing. if anyone wants them i can send them to them privately, just let me know.

tom

Maybe you could upload them to the NewellClassic Photo Gallery

Link here www.Newellclassic.com/gallery this way other Newell Owners will be able to see and chat about what your doing with your Newell and we can all get ideas from your pics on how maybe we can do it with ours.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
encantotom

an update,

i discovered that the floor isnt actually 2" of plywood everywhere. it has a metal pan coming in about 2 feet from the sides, then a 1/2" of plywood glued down, then strips like furring strips made of 2, 1/2" pieces of plywood 2-3" wide about 18" on center with 1" high density green foam in between them with a 1/2" piece of plywood on top. still very solid.

only on the edges is it a full 2" of plywood.

tom

Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
Wally Arntzen

Tom, don't glue the tile to the foam flooring. You should give some thought to installing 3/8 or 1/2" duro rock underlayment and then the granite or marble.

Wally Arntzen
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #10
encantotom

the foam is under the plywood. i am going to put down sam3 by nac products as an underlayment. recommended by a guy who does alot of coaches.

thanks,

tom

Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
ikcandco

»> Re : 'Rvtravel.com' website
- Perhaps 'NewellClassic.com Community' might have tips, leads or suggestions about
a place where you could benefit by offering these photos with their details.

------------------
- Tom, here's onelead from 'Rvtravel.com' 'RV NOW Blog'

- Possibly Jim Twamley Professor of RVing could direct you or give you a helping hand for
publishing on the web, maybe your own blog or other. Your 'Newell Renovations' technical
info and photos can certainly bring-in $$$$
------------------
- Fulltime RVer and Professor of RVing Jim Twamley shares details of his life on the road, in
the campground and around the campfire. If it has to do with RVs or the RV lifestyle, the
Professor's on top of it.

»>

- For more articles on this 'Blog' you'll find the 'ARCHIVES' by scrolling down about 2/3 of
the main page, it will appear on the right side. - There's a lot of great info.
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 1999h What's this?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
ikcandco

- Tom,
- You don't have to look very far ~ This might be good news for you, a great spot to start
and 'Show' your 'Savoir Faire !' CLICK HERE
»»»»»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««~»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««««««
- Tom, Pretty soon we will have to assign you a 'Nickname' or 'Title' about you're doings.
------------------
- For starts, how about :
------------------
- - - 'Dedicated Newell Coach Professor'
- - - 'Newell Coach Master of Restorations, Transformations and Renovations'
- - - 'The Authority in Restoring, Transforming and Renovating Newell Coaches'
»»»»»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««~»»»»» 'NewellClassic.com' «««««««««
- The 'Newell Coach Circle' will certainly create and convey a stronger expression for your
future 'Blog,' 'Articles' or . . .
------------------
May God Bless
KC ~ 1999i What's this?