Takin' the plunge .... again. - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default Takin' the plunge .... again.

Well after 10 great years enjoying our 1978 Newell we just purchased a 1993 Newell. (our '78's for sale) Our 93 is one of those somewhat rare "entertainer" coaches. It has been vandalized inside and I found it on a truck salvage yard. I know very little about this coach so will be learning as I try to get it back in service. We plan to use the 6 bunks for Grand-kids!.
Question:
There appears to be 2 A/C lines just below and behind the passenger side headlight behind the bumper. One is larger than the other. They're not connected to any thing. Is there supposed to be an A/C condenser up there. If so where could I find the correct replacement?
It is equipped with basement furnace/A/C. I'm trying to determine who made the climate control equipment so I can find a reputable service provider.
I'm sure I'll have more questions!!!!Thanks for any reply.
Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
fulltiming

Congratulations on you 'new' coach.

Those should be for the dash A/C. My dash A/C doesn't hold freon and since I run the genset most of time in the summer anyway, I haven't bothered to try to find the leaks and fix it.

The basement A/C units in that time period were made by Dometic. If I get some time, I will try to crawl under the coach and see if I see any names on the dash A/C units.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
fulltiming

Well, my visit to the underside of my coach revealed little I didn't already know. There were no name plates on the components. The lines from behind the headlights go into the box below the dash fans. To access this area, open the side bay door for the generator fan, remove the screws around the front of the opening and you can remove the black metal plate on the front that allows the insulated panel to come out. Then additional screws can be removed to access the dash blower motors and the cooling coils should be underneath. The hoses go to what appears to be the condenser located behind and above the front axle, then lines from the condenser to the engine driven A/C compressor.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
larryweikart

I don't know what part of Indiana you're in, but I take my Newell to Holmes on wheels in Elkhart, In. Dave Holmes is an expert on a/c systems as he worked for Dometic for years before starting his own business. He is honest and fair. I wouldn't take my Newell to anyone else for that type work. Good Luck!

Larrt Weikart
Newell #365
Iyopawa Island, Mi.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote