weird starting behavior - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Bill & Sonja

Default weird starting behavior

Hello Newell gang, I've encountered another weird behavior.

Our Perkins / Kohler 12.5 generator is behaving strangely. Or maybe it has always acted strangely. History: Oil and filters changed regularly, new glow plugs a month ago, new starter 2 years ago, control box professionally reconditioned same time as starter. I believe it has about 3,500 hours running time.

Generally it starts like this: first crank does not start, it cuts out cranking itself after a short crank. (that is, with the switch held down it jut quits cranking) Second crank it starts right away or occasionally behaves the same as the first crank and starts on the third attempt. Each time I have held the glow plugs 15 seconds. It started the same way before the starter was replaced.

Now a couple days ago it cranked until I released the switch - and no start or fire. A number of times it cranked continuously till released and no firing. Let it sit a while and tried it and it started in its old characteristic way. Has run in its usual way for a few starts and then behaved strangely by continuously cranking again and not firing. Left sit a while and started in the usual way again.

Any thoughts on this one?

Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Let me replay what I think you said. The engine turns over just fine, just doesn't fire. Does it try to fire?

In some ways, diesels are easier to diagnose than gas engines. Fuel and air are the keys. Since it runs fine when it does crank, I am thinking fuel. If it doesn't stumble when it's misbehaving, I think the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't opening. That could be a relay or a bad connection. Is there any way you can slide it out and observe the fuel solenoid while someone else hits the start switch?

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
prairieschooner

Bill,
If this problem showed up on my coach I would start by checking the Battery Cables both positive and ground to be sure that you have good power to the Generator, you should check both ends (Battery Starter and Engine Block) since you stated that it just quit cranking.
Our Perkins will crank over until it starts. When I had a Fuel Leak it allowed Air into the Fuel System and it took longer to start but it always cranked until it started.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote