Test strips for radiator - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
tuga

Default Test strips for radiator

I know how to use the test strips for the series 60 radiator water, but what do you add to the radiator to bring the color up to a purple color? In the past I have just added the Cool Rite antifreeze from Detroit Diesel. Someone told me NAL Cool 3000 could be used, but before I pour this in I wanted to check with you guys.

Does anyone know for sure which I should use: CoolRite antifreeze or NAL Cool 3000????

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
encantotom

Tuga,

i see you didnt get any responses here.

i bought a case of detroit diesel powercool 3000 a few years ago for my ford powerstroke coolant. i gave a bottle of it to michael when he was here last time to have in case.

i know there are emotional debates about what coolant and what additives. same thing for the powerstroke....

my humble opinion is that making sure the nitrates are at the proper level is far more important that the brand of additive. the damage done to the inside of a diesel engine is severe when the additives are not maintained.

my bus shop uses a pre-mix recycled coolant with the distilled water and additives already in. and yea i know some people dont like recycled coolant, (it just means it is cleaned and made like new). but the shop i go to has 80 charter bus's and that is all they use....

come on by, i will give you a bottle.

btw, only add the additive to the levels the test strip tells you to, knowing the capacity of the cooling system.

i would guess you already did what you were going to do, but though i would comment anyway.

the test strips are avail at lots of places. i have the detroit diesel ones. btw, i bought them and the powercool over the internet.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
tuga

Tom,

I haven't added anything to the radiator yet. Yesterday, I spoke to a DD service manager and he said to add pure anti-freeze (Power Cool) to the radiator. Then use the test strips to test for the correct level of nitrates (color coding). So I guess I'll just do that.

I drain/change anti-freeze every 3 years and have been using the Power Cool with good results. It is what Newell and DD recommend. Kind of difficult to go against that.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Tuga,

I use the Donaldson P552088 Coolant Filter http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/000376.pdf

It has kept my numbers right where they should be.

You are using the standard green coolant, correct. Because if you have switched over the the red or orange long life stuff, it uses different chemistry. Although both are ethylene glycol, the additive packages are completely different, and most importantly incompatible.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
tuga

Richard,

I use Power Cool (pink) and it is made by Detroit Diesel. When I first purchased my coach (series 60) I brought it to my local Detroit Diesel dealer and they put this stuff in the radiator cut 50/50 with water. I have used the test strips testing every few months. I would add Power Cool anti-freeze pure to bring the system up. I use Power Cool filters which have chemical pellets in them.

Does your '95 have the series 60 DD?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
Richard and Rhonda

It does have the S60 but I am running the old school green coolant with the nitrate additive package.

Is the Power Cool pink a nitrate additive package or does it use the OAT Organic Acid Technology package?

My reason for asking is purely out of ignorance, for the nitrate test strips aren't going to work with an OAT coolant.

Might want to read this http://extranet.detroitdiesel.com/pd...Selections.pdf
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #7
Wally Arntzen

I use the green presto antifreeze and add 2 pints of and additive made by detroit desiel which the guy I get it sereviced gives. I don't know the name of it but I will get tomorrow and mention it on the site.
I do know that if you don't add it you could ruin your engine. I don't what the rest of you are using but I'm sure there other options than what I do.
I mentioned the other day that I change mine every year because I want it clean as a whistle.

Wally
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
It does have the S60 but I am running the old school green coolant with the nitrate additive package.

Is the Power Cool pink a nitrate additive package or does it use the OAT Organic Acid Technology package?

My reason for asking is purely out of ignorance, for the nitrate test strips aren't going to work with an OAT coolant.

Might want to read this http://extranet.detroitdiesel.com/pd...Selections.pdf
Richard,

It must be the nitrate package because the test strips work! They change colors when dipped in the radiator water/antifreeze. Thanks for posting the article. I don't have time to read the entire article now (I skimmed over it) but I still feel that I am using the correct anti-freeze.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot