1995 Newell with issues - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
pdparson

Default 1995 Newell with issues

Hi all; We have picked up our coach and have issues that the "dealer" is having problems getting fixed...the fridge and freezer will not go over 50 degrees with a brand new compressor....both water pumps refuse to work one is new, one is rebuilt...grrrrrrrr

To make this worse we are in Quartzsite, az having a satellite dish installed...this coach belonged Art Nottingham and after that Mike Simple, if anyone knows either person...

Any ideas guys??? hyave checked the breakers and fuses and all is well there...on both...

thanks in advance!!

Memphis, Missouri
1995 42' Newell #392
pdparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
encantotom

hi,

as for the fridge i have no real suggestions there. perhaps our resident fridge expert richard can chime in.

i believe you have the standard shurflo 12v pumps. one is primary and another as backup. it is a pretty simple system.

how i would start is this.

1. make sure there is power at the pump itself. an automotive 12v voltage probe works great for this since you can poke it into the connector or wire. or a volt meter.

2. if you have power at the pump itself and it is not coming on, then it is the pump. not impossible to have two bad pumps. not likely but not impossible. this pump does have a pressure switch you can bypass to make sure that isnt causing it. look at this

http://www.shurflo.com/files/RV-Inst...44%20_444_.pdf

even if you dont have any water the pump should at least come on.

if you have no voltage, then you need to trace the wires back.

there is a switch over the microwave that switches between the two pumps.

the water pumps not working should be one of your simplest problems....

sounds like it has been sitting for a while.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
encantotom

hi, are you still in arizona?

tom

Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Sorry for the late reply.

if the compressor is running on the fridge, then a high temp is caused by TOO much gas. Fridges are different than car or house AC systems, to get low temps requires low gas pressure. Don't quote me from memory, but mine likes about 6 psi with 134a, or about 10 psi with R12.

Other really odd thing may be that the defrost cycle is stuck on.

I assumed you have a household elec fridge.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
folivier

My coach only has 1 Flojet 4406 pump. And the other night the pressure switch didn't shut off, pump overheated and shut off. While I was in the shower!
I ordered a new pump and should get it Monday. I'll replace the pump but want to repair the old one for a spare.
Don't know if my coach had 2 pumps at one time, don't see any extra wiring, and there is only 1 switch over microwave to turn pump on/off.
What would be required to install a 2nd pump?
Could I wire both of them to the same switch and use a valve on the outlet of each to switch between them? Would having the unused pump "hot" be a problem, or would it be better to switch between them electrically? If I do that would I still need a valve to isolate the unused pump, or would it be ok with back pressure from the running pump? I suppose I could plumb both pumps and remove the fuse from the unused pump, that way it would be a quick switchover.
Thanks
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
chockwald

"My coach only has 1 Flojet 4406 pump. And the other night the pressure switch didn't shut off, pump overheated and shut off. While I was in the shower!" - I hate it when that happens.....I carry a spare water pump.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

Forrest,

My two pumps are plumbed in parallel. They also have two independent switches in the cabin. That may be a bit of overkill.

I would plumb them in parallel. The wiring question comes down to do you want to run them both at the same time and each one independently?
CoMotion Tandem
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
prairieschooner

Hate to tell you but.........We learned that lesson years ago on yachts. We now only use SHURFLO pumps now. Parts are easy to get and easy to replace. I had the same SHURFLO Pump installed in our Sailboat that we lived aboard in for 18 years with no issues. I installed one in our '82 as soon as we got it, well right after doing 3 weeks or so of repairs and tires, etc.

PS What are you guys doing in the shower?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
pdparson

Thank you all for your response!! They have ordered new pumps, these were to small. The fridge was froze up fan..fridge fixed. Pumpson thursday next as we leave town.

We have several things we have no idea how to deal with and if you arein Town when we head out Tom, possibly we can call and see if you are in town.

There is a switch in the bathroom that says compressor???? The front airdoor does not closed if it does, it does not open...

cannot get the front tv to play thru speakers.

The shocks that hold up the tv dvd cabinet need replaced, any ideas?? We are out of town at Lake Alamo and there is absolutely nothing around here....will be going into Quartzside tomorrow for supplies, I will look...

Oh and another question, over the step cover, is there something that is suppose to go in there to cover the drop??

Thanks so much all!!

Best to you!!!
Memphis, Missouri
1995 42' Newell #392
Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
rheavn

Pat & Larry,
Glad to hear you were able to solve the refrigerator problem. I'm not totally familiar with '95 vintage coaches, but I'll try to help.

Your coach should have air toilets, air black water tank dump valves and air pocket doors. The "compressor switch" in the bathroom is most likely to turn on the air compressor when you are parked. Mine is in the kitchen, but they may have put one in the bath for your convenience. Without proper air the toilets, dump valves and air pocket doors won't work. You said the front pocket door has opened and has closed, but is intermittent. The first thing to check is the air pressure. My coach has a 110 volt air compressor located in the first compartment bay on the right side. I also have a 12 Volt air compressor in the same bay as the AquaHot unit on the right side. When I am parked I turn on one of those air compressors. Either one will provide enough air to open & close your pocket doors. Do you have proper air pressure? There is a regulator on the 12 V air compressor with a gauge that should be between 50 & 60 psi. The air pressure gauge for the 110V air compressor is in the right side engine compartment. You should have some where between 75 & 110 psi. If you have proper air pressure, but you run out of air you may have air tanks that are full of water. Have you drained ALL of your air tanks? If every thing checks good then the front pocket door solenoid may be bad. Haven't worked on mine, so I don't know where it is located. I'd call Newell.

On your water pumps you should have a large Headhunter 110 Volt water pump & a 12 Volt water pump. Mine are both located in the water bay on the left side of coach.

I do not believe that '95 vintage coaches had a step cover. Some one can correct me if that is not right.

When I purchased my coach many of the gas shocks or gas springs needed replacement. I purchased them from http://www.spdhardware.com/

I will PM you my phone number if you have questions.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
folivier

My 93 has an air operated step cover. The switch is over the microwave and labeled, step cover- in/out (I think). Earlier models had a hinged step cover.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 03-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
encantotom

hi,

i got my gas springs for the doors at http://www.stampededist.com/struts.html they are considerably cheaper than most places.

i just got back from asia and will be leaving to go to israel this thursday. if you come before that i would be glad to help you as much as i can.

i will be back the following friday.

i know that richards 95 doesnt have a 110v water pump and just has the 12v ones. i suspect yours is the same.

richard, do you have a 12v compressor?

tom

Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
Richard and Rhonda

The comp switch in the bathroom is to run a 12V compressor dedicated to the potty. Mine only powers the potty. That way you don't have to run the aux compressor to flush.

My pocket doors are problematic. It's on the list to look into. Sorry I cant help. There are is a regulator in my basement that controls the air pressure to the pocket doors.

I have dual 12V pumps. No headhunter.

Glad the fridge was simple.

Look on the side of the gas shock. There are markings on there that you plug into google. A list of suppliers will come back.

What is the date code on your tires? Have you looked at them? What pressures are you running. On my 95 I run 120 in the front, 110 in the drive and 100 in the tags.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
pdparson

Tom we will be going thru Phoenix on the 8th of March will you be there?? We have a number of minor issues. The one that is driving me insane is the screen door that goes into the wall has been ripped up, what is the secret of taking it out to replace the screen?? Thank again and hope to see you guys soon,
Memphis, Missouri
1995 42' Newell #392
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #15
pdparson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
The comp switch in the bathroom is to run a 12V compressor dedicated to the potty. Mine only powers the potty. That way you don't have to run the aux compressor to flush.

My pocket doors are problematic. It's on the list to look into. Sorry I cant help. There are is a regulator in my basement that controls the air pressure to the pocket doors.

I have dual 12V pumps. No headhunter.

Glad the fridge was simple.

Look on the side of the gas shock. There are markings on there that you plug into google. A list of suppliers will come back.

What is the date code on your tires? Have you looked at them? What pressures are you running. On my 95 I run 120 in the front, 110 in the drive and 100 in the tags.

Rick, I have no idea, I will print this off and give it to the boss man and have him check it out...we cannot wait to meet you guys!!

best and we are having a wonderful time..
Memphis, Missouri
1995 42' Newell #392
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #16
encantotom

hi pat and larry,

unfortunately i am leaving for israel on the morning of the 8th. if you can get here the night before i will be around. you can park in front of our house and if needed you can stay in the house as well.

tom

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Summersgal

Default Tire pressure

Richard,

Would you please explain the reasoning behind the different tire pressures. I am running 110 psi in all.

Jeff
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #18
Richard and Rhonda

120 on the front to max out the front axle weight rating. That gives me right at 14000 capacity on the front, and I am close to that when fully wet.

The rears are not nearly as loaded as the fronts on my rig. I softened the pressure to get a softer ride. I could probably get away with less.

It seems to ride and track a little better by running the tags softer than the drive. It may be my imagination.

Important thing is to look at the tire inflation charts and know the axle weights on the coach. Each one will be different, so my pressure needs could be very different from yours.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
folivier

"It seems to ride and track a little better by running the tags softer than the drive. It may be my imagination."
Could be your front end alignment....JUST KIDDING!!!
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #20
Wally Arntzen

Several years ago when at Newell I was told to run 115 front, 100 drive and 85 in the tag. I have done that ever sence and my coach rides like a dream.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote