re-paint a coach or wrap a coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Nara Queen

Question re-paint a coach or wrap a coach?

Some of the coaches we have seen have outdated paint schemes and show a lot of deterioration. We hope we can find an extreme deal on a coach where we have room to have a new paint job done or a temporary wrap. We've been thinking upon this since Newell hunting and seeing all the coaches that need updating, we thought having a wrap done might be a less expensive alternative? Any one care to share thoughts, experience or expertise in this area?

Nara Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
RSI Coach

Hello Nara,

We are in the same situation, we have a 1992 Newell which we have totally redone the interior on but have yet to address the exterior for this reason. We have weighed both options of wrapping or painting and it appears that the wrapping option may be a price saving option it comes with it's own challenges and disadvantages. The wrapping typically is a shorter term 3-5 option depending of course on use and duration in the sun. There is also a fairly high price tag with wrapping once you include a little prep, graphics design, material costs and of course the labor to install we were approaching $8K-10K. The other option of paint has its' clear advantages like durability and longevity but from what we are seeing you can also end up in the $14K-$20K ballpark to fully and correctly strip, mask, prep, design, paint, clear and reassemble a large custom coach. We have a Newll repaint kitty jar, it's a really big jar, but we have opted for the paint method and are looking at 18-24 months until we can outlay that cost for a shiny new updated coach. There's always the option of driving down to Mexico where they paint your coach outside using basic airbrush techniques for $3K-$5K but we didn't feel real fuzzy with that option either!

1992 Newell #284 "Big Casa"
8V92 DDEC-2 / HT740
2010 Roadtrek 210 Versatile "Lil Casa"
RSI Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
MrE

Nara, you might want to look at this post, apparently some RV parks won't allow wraps. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...rap-paint.html
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Charlotte Rosita

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Nara, you might want to look at this post, apparently some RV parks won't allow wraps. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...rap-paint.html
MrE it should only be a concern if you plan on having a wrap with advertising.
Charlotte Rosita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Charlotte Rosita

If you are concerned with the outer appearance of your coach that is good. A lot of people wait to do the outside of their coaches last. But remember everyone sees the outside of your coach and "First impressions are lasting impressions". So when you can, make it count on the outside too.
Charlotte Rosita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Yachts

I actually wrapped my newell 10 years ago.. Had it on for 2 years.. Wrap cost 10k.. We used it in my business.. Is a great look but it doesn't have the same gloss look as a paint.. If you can paint it for 15.. I would paint it.. But the good thing about the wrap is your options are endless!! Photos or anything..
Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
NEWELLWIZARD

I could see wrapping a coach for a business but for personal use you may want to think about it. Like Yachts said for the price of a wrap if for a little more you can get it painted I too would go for paint instead. One for the obvious reasons that paint outlasts a wrap and because paint looks like paint and a wrap looks like a wrap.
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Nara Queen

Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciate it again we have things to think about. I think we are leaning more towards paint since getting some opinions here. Thanks again!

Nara
Nara Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Doppler

Default 2012 Van Halen Tour Bus Vinyl Wrap

[video=youtube_share;B7qPzJWU-hs]http://youtu.be/B7qPzJWU-hs[/video]

For those who may not be familiar with a coach wrap I found this nifty video of a 2012 Van Halen Tour bus Vinyl wrap. Keep in mind this video is sped up which makes it look fast and easy.
Doppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Neweller

Only chump change for the Pasadena boys. One concert should cover the total coach expense.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
speedingsport

Good video Doppler. This video is only a couple of minutes but it showcases a wrap job more closely. These guys look like real pros also.

[video=youtube_share;xEIputPz9vY]http://youtu.be/xEIputPz9vY[/video]

Signs, Concepts & Solutions | Vehicle Wraps, Stickers, Banners, Graphic Design & More
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Han Soo-Ann

Good movie clip. thank you I understand what this method is now.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
86loco

Speedingsport this is definitely an intersting process. I like it and thanks for taking the time to share with us. I would consider a wrap unless like someone noted you may not get the glass of paint.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
Wheeler

Wrapping a coach is neat but I prefer an amazing paint job instead.

Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote