Generator grounding problem - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Ramblin Ron

Default Generator grounding problem

While running on generator power I started to smell an electrical smell in the coach so I kicked off the generator to search out the odor and could not locate where that smell originated from now I only have electrical power at kitchen area and TV. No other outlets have power
Any and all suggestion will be appreciated.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
77newell

Ron: Question; your posting is titled "generator grounding problem", what makes you suspect there is a grounding problem with the generator or did you mean something else?

I assume you are now hooked to shore power and only the kitchen and TV are working. If you are comfortable working around 120V electricity I would start at the circuit breaker box and see which circuits have power and which don't. I suspect that one leg of your box has failed, if true then you will have to trace that leg's wiring back until you find power and know where the failure occurred. After fixing that, I would turn all the breakers on that leg off, turn the power back on (I'm assuming you know to turn the power off prior to repairing the wires), slip a amp meter on the supply to that leg and watch the meter as you turn circuits on one at a time and then off again before turning the next one on. It's possible that there are other problems lurking downstream of the circuit breakers but maybe not.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Ramblin Ron

Thanks Jon,

I honestly was guessing it was an issue with my generator grounding and will start troubleshooting it more this weekend. I sure thank you for providing such a detailed response I will have a lot of tests to perform and I hope that I can locate the problem easily.