Genset starter switch wiring - Classic MH - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
my38special

Default Genset starter switch wiring - Classic MH

I bought my 1983 Classic last year and am still correcting 25 years worth of "repairs" done by others. My latest project is the generator starter toggle switch located on the dash. A previous owner took out the original three position switch and put in a two position (off-on) switch on the dash and a second two position (on-off) switch below the dash, to control the starting and running of the generator. Could someone with a Classic describe in detail for me what their original wiring setup is for the three position switch on their dash generator starter switch. Thanks much.

my38special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
fulltiming

The ones that I have seen had a 3 position switch that was momentary contact in the up and down position returning to the center position as you release pressure on the switch. Holding the switch in the UP position activated the starter. When pressure is released, the switch returned to the center position with the generator running. When the switch is held in the down position, the generator is shut down and after it stops, you release pressure and the switch returns to the center position with the generator now stopped.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
chockwald

Michael, that is exactly how all three of my switches (drivers console, bathroom,and bedroom) for the the genset. They all return to the nuetral, or center position after starting and stopping the genset.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
my38special

Default Update

Thanks for the very quick feedback. I would not have guessed that the genset switch is momentary in both directions. After buying this type of a switch, I tried to put it in last night - to no avail. I've narrowed down the two wires (a light green one and a light yellow one) that kick over the soleniod; however, the other two wires that come from the genset (a medium green and a medium red) also kick over the soleniod AND, appparently, power the fuel valve. As it stands, if I power either set of wires the solenoid starts and doesn't stop; obviously, a bad situation for my starter. I'll explore it more after work.

By-the-way, I found your report of a genset switch, on a fellow classic, in the bathroom both cool and a surprise.
my38special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
chockwald

The one I like best is the one in the bedroom. When we dry camp in cold weather (I hate sleeping with the heaters on) it's nice to pop out of bed, hit the genset switch, and flip on the engine block heater (that switch is just above the headboard), and go back to sleep while the engine heats up for starting in about an hour. My original owner put a lot of redundancy into his coach.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
fulltiming

I only have two generator switches on the interior, the one over the drivers seat and one over the cooktop. Of course you can also stop and start it from the control box on top of the generator.

If your generator has a control box with the start/stop switch on top of the generator, you might check the wiring there to see what which wires are used there.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
champcar50

On our 1983 classic we have only one generator switch on hte dash to turn the generator on and off. It is a two position switch when turned on the generator cranks and starts th starte diengages automatically when the generator starts. Our generator is a kohler and it had a bad relay that we had replaced a while ago. If it will help you I have a wirig schematic for the generator I got fom kohler and I would be happy to mail you a copy of it. I think I may still have it in my email and if so I could send it to you. Let me know if you want it
Jack
champcar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
prairieschooner

Our '82 has the KOHLER Generator and 2 ON/OFF Switches both are 2 Position. One is behind the Shift Control and the other is behind our Bed. Clarke has a Propane powered Generator and would not work the same as a Diesel Generator of the same vintage.
I suggest that you take a look at the wiring schematic for the Generator there is most likely an Oil Pressure Switch or some other circuitry that stops the Starter after the Generator is running (not sure about this but that is how others work).

prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote