Installing brake control - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
mnhoff

Default Installing brake control

I could use some help on this one? I own a 95 Newell that does not have a brake control to activate my trailer brakes that I am going start pulling. I need to install a 12 gauge wire from the dash area to the seven pin plug connector beside the hitch at the rear. Any ideas on the best way to get the wire fished through or did Newell leave any blank wires from front to rear????

1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
NewellCrazy

Hi Mike,

On your year there should be a red wire located in the steering column that runs back to your seven pin plug. I'm not sure but I thought there was a relay at the rear of the coach as well, that could depend on year. I think Ken (neweller) would have a better answer in the morning if someone else doesn't hit this first.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Neweller

Hey Mike, you should have no problem hooking up a brake controller to your '95 Newell. I'm assuming you have the 60 series engine and if so back at the rear where

your engine battery compartment is located, there is a large junction box with a stainless steel cover and in that junction box you will find all sorts of relays and

breakers for the brake lights and their systems. Here you can access and hook-up what you need for your controller. Now go up to the front of the coach in front of

the co-pilots chair and you can remove the cover and find the other end of the wires coming from the rear. You may have to dig a little but Newell puts several extra

16 and 18 gauge wires for adding features such as a break controller. Unless someone has already used up these spare full length coach ran wires for something else,

you should be ready to go.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
mnhoff

I must have the only 1995 8V92 built.
1995 Newell Coach #372
Old 09-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Neweller

Kind of a rare one. Does any of what I posted make sense to whats on your coach?
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
mnhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Kind of a rare one. Does any of what I posted make sense to whats on your coach?
Yes it does Thanks Ken. I have located all the items that U touched on, now I need to dig for the wire. Thanks again
1995 Newell Coach #372
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
cdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Hey Mike, you should have no problem hooking up a brake controller to your '95 Newell. I'm assuming you have the 60 series engine and if so back at the rear where

your engine battery compartment is located, there is a large junction box with a stainless steel cover and in that junction box you will find all sorts of relays and

breakers for the brake lights and their systems. Here you can access and hook-up what you need for your controller. Now go up to the front of the coach in front of

the co-pilots chair and you can remove the cover and find the other end of the wires coming from the rear. You may have to dig a little but Newell puts several extra

16 and 18 gauge wires for adding features such as a break controller. Unless someone has already used up these spare full length coach ran wires for something else,

you should be ready to go.
Any idea if this is the same with a 91 Newell? I need to install an electric brake controller for a trailer.
Thanks
john
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
ccjohnson

I got lucky! Ours had a wire group dangling near driver seat that had all hooked up except ground. Just ran a clip to air brake release bracket for gound.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
mnhoff

Default Brake control wire

Hey John, Ken nailed it with that 12 guage blue wire in the engine comp and the fuse panel passenger side front. Mike

1995 Newell Coach #372