Freedom 458 Inverter Problems and fix - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Technical Exchange > Charging Systems, Electrical & Solar
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
encantotom

Default Freedom 458 Inverter Problems and fix

I have a 2kw Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter. during my summer long trip it started acting up. it would only turn on and invert when AC power was applied either from shore or the genny. if i tried to turn the inverter on when no AC power was applied, then it would turn the invert light on, but not generate any power. you could turn it on with AC power on, then turn the AC power off and the inverter would be ok.

i borrowed a working control panel and tried it, no fix. i took the inverter out and took it to the xantrex factory repair center, which ended up only being a couple of miles from my house. the tech there was very nice and he fixed it while i waited. it had a bad control board that cost me 200 bucks plus 30 bucks labor to replace and check it out.

i traced all the wires out on my inverter and have bought the wire and breaker to re wire it. currently it has 12 gauge wire going to it to and from the breaker panel. it also only powers the icemaker and the AV gear. since it is rated as a 30amp transfer switch, i am rewiring it with 10 gauge romex to and from and will hook in the microwave now as well. my icemaker has its own transfer switch manually controlled by a switch over the microwave, so when not in invert mode, it doesnt flow through the inverter.

i will put in a 30 amp breaker for the main for the inverter, rewire it and include the microwave and i should be just fine.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote