1978 Newell purchase? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
Patricia Barrett

Default 1978 Newell purchase?

I am considering purchase of a 78 Newell. The price seems right at 44,000. Interior is very appealing for my needs. Is this a good price? As aged as it is, am I to be expecting great deals of upgrading? I have yet to get many details, very fresh into the deal. I would greatly appreciate input.T5 Cummins, power steering , 5 speed Allison auto, are these good? Sure sounds appealing!

Any advice, please call, all info welcome 847-587-4545, ask for Patti I love the thought of becoming part of this Newell FAMILY

Patricia Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Dick Quirk

We own a '78, but it has a Detroit engine, so I can't speak to the value of the one you are looking at. I think that the engine made quite a difference in the construction of those models. We bought ours 7 years ago at $67.5K. We have put a lot into it, but we remain happy with our investment. It is comfortable, and is built solidly enough that you can remodel and upgrade without throwing your money down the drain.

I would definitely have the major items, such as the engine and transmission checked out. Take a look too at the amount of rust in the underneath compartments and under the coach. Our coaches sometimes have a problem with the aluminum skin reacting to the steel frame below floor level and at front and back. You end up with rusted steel frame or pitting and holes in the skin. If you find any of that, it's probably worth having a truck or bus body shop check it out. The Newell factory will eventually fix ours when we are ready.

It is probably best to try hard to be objective in adding up how much will have to be replaced in the first couple of years, but it is best to do so. That way you are going into it with your eyes open.

For all of that caution, we are very happy with our coach. When we take it to the factory, we hear a lot from the older guys about how well they built them in those days, just as they do today.

Bottom line, once you have a sense for costs to get it the way you want it, and you have heard about the pluses and minuses of that engine (call Newell at 1-888-3Newell), you will probably be able to make a good decision. I think you will find the factory service guys willing to give you a good assessment.

Sincerely,
Dick Quirk A

Dick Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
Rich Farr

Dear Pat,

We have recently purchased a 79 Newell 38 1/2 with a Detroit 6V92 (non turbo) and Allison 5 speed. We paid top dollar but it is in exceptional condition. Even so, it surprising what all is needed, just to get it baselined before we venture too far from home. We had previously looked at a 73 with a Cummins 555. Also a 82 with a Cummins 903. After talking to Cummins, we passed on the 555 because they are hard to get parts for. Other owners have also relayed that they are underpowered. The cost of an engine swap is prohibitive - so you want to get one with an engine you can live with. The 903 Cummins has plenty of power and parts are somewhat more available. We went for the 6V92DD. They are more complex and noisy - but seem to be the most popular (from a service standpoint). If in good shape, they will last a long time. Bottom line - we would rather have an older Newell - than a much newer fiberglass coach. They have the potential of being a 'classic' - sort of like a '57 Chevy. They always draw a crowd. Success on your efforts.

Rich Farr
Rich Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
John Clark

Newell purchase I owned a '79 and loved it (now own an '87) Dick and Rich did a great job in answering your question and I agree 100%.
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Bob Marlatt

I purchased a 73 last year though it has a 391 Ford gas engine, the rest should be about the same as the one you are considering. I can't say enough good things about my older rig. But like any motorcoach, new or pre-owned, you will have to fix the odd thing from time to time. The industrial strength of the older rigs make them a good investment and a joy to drive, but you have to take good care of them to insure your safety. I am not a mechanic and don't tackle the repairs on the running gear but I have made it a habit to know where I can find reliable help when I need it and keep good records of all maintenance. I wouldn't trade or sell my older coach for 5 times what I paid for it.
Bob Marlatt is offline   Reply With Quote