Whilrpool fridge - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
cdat

Default Whilrpool fridge

I've been reading some of the past threads on changing to a household fridge. Several people have recommended this fridge (Whirlpool XTOMSRXTB) due to the fact it seems to fit almost exactly into the space left by the original Dometic. Doing some research I've noticed that lots of people on other sites have complained about the noise from this fridge. For those of you on this site that have installed this fridge, any thought on the noise of other issues?

Thanks as always for taking the time to edumacate me.

John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Hi John,

Most that have tackled this project never looked back and wish they had changed over sooner. Haven't heard much about the noise factor plus there is always a way to solve extensive noise it's an issue. After conversion you will have somewhere around 3/4" on the sides and 1/2" on top when your fridge is installed.

I'm sure others will chime in,

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
GORDON HUMMEL

John
I installed mine in Dec 2009. I was in So Ca visiting family, so I didn't do a lot of research. Lowe's had this one on sale because of a minor scratch. I originally vented outside, which was a lot more work, because I was concerned about noise. There is none! I am a fulltimer & hate noises & rattles. The ice maker & microwave are far more noiser.
I've had RV's since 1971 & have probably repaired or replace 4-5 of these amonia absorbsion units. They are small, don't cool well and expensive. I've even looked at house type propane units & they are really pricy & I'm not sure it would vent well in a moving vehicle.
I'm now in the process of reviewing the install of a hotpoint 15.6 cu ft with ice maker. While I will loose some room to the ice maker It will still be quite a bit larger. Additionally I will have the space available where the ice maker sat. I would gain 24% in cabinet space & I have OCD when it comes to space utilization.
The reports by some indicate that it is noisy yet other say it is fine. There seems to be 3 different noise levels from these apartment size units and I am still trying to understand what unit has what noise level. As expected the quiter units are more $'s, but more importantly they are too tall for my motor home.
John, I couldn't find any interior pictures of your coach. Mine is also a 91, and has a standard height roof, which as I undersand was not that common. If yours is taller, the height may not be an issue.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
cdat

Appreciate the info. Gordon, your thread was one of the ones that started me looking at the whirlpool, I was hoping you would chime in, as a full timer your knowledge of the fridge is a big help. There are some pics of the coach in the gallery, 91, coach #7.
Sean, I believe you had some very useful info on one of the posts also, really appreciate hearing from people that have done the conversion.

John
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
GORDON HUMMEL

John,
I looked at the pictures & couldn't really tell the height if your coach. The ceiling height in my kitchen is 76.5". My coach is 41.5' and from looking at your pictues, Im guessing yours in a 43.5'? Our coachs are quite similiar floor plan, othe than the kitchen & dinette are reversed. My frig is next to the dinette, which I will move forward 4" if I decide to go with the larger frig. There were no pictures of your frig or what is on the other side of it. I would suggest it would be extreme hard to put a wider frig in your coach.
As a side note & maybe it is just me, but why as coaches get longer, the additional lenght is in the bath/bedroom. This has always bugged me and it is typically worse with front slide units.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
cdat

Gordan, our coach is also 41.5, the ceiling height according to my measurements is 81"
One question, the owners manual states that their are two battery banks, one on the passenger side, one on the driver side, but doesn't tell me which are house and which are chassis. Both sets have two 8D wet cells, is there a way to tell which are house, and chassis?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
GORDON HUMMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
Gordan, our coach is also 41.5, the ceiling height according to my measurements is 81"
One question, the owners manual states that their are two battery banks, one on the passenger side, one on the driver side, but doesn't tell me which are house and which are chassis. Both sets have two 8D wet cells, is there a way to tell which are house, and chassis?

Thanks
Engine batteries are on the passenger side, house batteries on the drivers side & hooked up to the charger in the compartment just ahead.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
cdat

Thank you sir, That's what I thought from the way they were hooked up, just wanted to be sure.
John