How Often Do You Start Your Detroit Diesel Engine During Winter Time? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Rich Franklin

Default How Often Do You Start Your Detroit Diesel Engine During Winter Time?

With winter fast approaching I would like to know how often you start your diesel engine during the winter months while in outside storage?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
The Newell

Winter storage for a diesel:

1. If storing over 2-3 months, add a BIOCIDE (from any marine store-- boats have the same diesel storage issues).

2. If storing summer blend fuel over the winter, add an anti-gel(Walmart, etc). If you fill up when the temperatures are already below freezing, this is not an issue.

3. Keep diesel tank full to minimize condensation.

4. If you can't drive 25+ highway miles, DON'T start the engine. It has to be driven under enough of a load for long enough to get the oil, not just coolant up to operating temperature or you are doing more harm than good.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
NewellCrazy

If storing over the winter and not running (and driving) the engine long enough to fully warm engine oil there is no need to add an anti-gel to summer blend fuel. The "gel" is wax crystals which form when the temperature drops below the cloud point of the fuel. When the fuel temperature rises above the cloud point, the wax crystals disappear. Thus, if you don't start the engine over the winter the "gel" becomes irrelevant. I completely agree that you shouldn't start the engine at all if you aren't going to completely warm the engine oil, not just the coolant temp.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote