Is it safe to run generator while driving? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Gimpy

Default Is it safe to run generator while driving?

Is it safe to run my generator while driving down the road?

Franco

Franco Filipovic

2001 Newell Coach

Detroit Series 60 HP 500

Allison 6 Speed HD4060
[TABLE="width: 260, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Viva Las Vegas JDR

Yes, on running the generator while traveling down the road. Lots of people do it, for either air conditioners or heat.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Cheri Smith

Certainly. It's quite common.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
fulltiming

Almost all of my generator hours are when the coach is in motion. I try to avoid dry camping so it is rare for us to run the generator when parked unless the RV Park shore power goes down.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
larryweikart

Absolutely. I had to run mine on the way home from our delivery at the factory. It was in the middle of the night when our "new" alternator failed.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
afrench45

Yes. Ive run mine from Oklahoma to California, Florida, and other places non-stop several times.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Neweller

All these years I was reluctant to run my generator while driving. Because back almost 10 years ago, when I purchased my first Newell I had asked Paul Davis at Mr. Olivers the place where I bought it, if it was OK to run the genset while rolling, he told me it was not recommended because of the possible hazard due to a fuel leak etc.. The reason I asked in the first place, was due to one of his drivers just delivering a stretched MCI bus conversion from the north, and while talking to this guy admiring this conversion, I asked if that was the generator running, and he stated yes, that he needed to during the run, in order to keep warm.

After departing with the coach from Mr. Olivers in Princeton, Texas on our way back to Southern California during December (winter), and tired of freezing in my new found luxury coach lifestyle, I decided to crank up the genny and enjoy some heat.....Now, this was nice.

After talking with others later on, many told me that they run the generator all the time while traveling or rolling down the road. I'm sold on the idea! I have to believe that if there was any kind of hazard, it would be more with a gas coach or possibly a gas or propane generator. Owning a Newell or high-end luxury conversion designed properly, is a whole new world compared to some of the cheaper alternatives.

I'm not indorsing anything, just mentioning what I have done as with others here.

Has anyone ever asked Newell or other luxury manufactures to see what they say? I never have.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote