Windshield Wipers - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
agkcpa
Traveling

Default Windshield Wipers

I wasn't sure wheter to post this under General or Chasis...sorry if I packed the wrong one.

I have a 1983 Newell. The wipers are powered by air and independently operatated.

The wiper motor works fine, but the "throw" of the wiper needs to be adjusted. The driver side wiper travels too far. It actually goes around the curved glass and makes a loud thump on each cycle.

If there a way to adjust the travel of the wiper?

Thanks in advance for your help.

agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
Wally Arntzen

If you pull the arm off of the shaft and move it toward the center 1 or 2 notches you probably will solve your problem. Somebody may have taken the arm off and did not put it back in the proper setting. Good luck.

Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Wally Arntzen

Hi Art,

If moving the arm does not work and you think the air motors are bad you can get rebuilt ones from Rome Truck Parts in Augusta, Georgia at 706-234-6228. I got some from them and replaced both motors and air switches on the dash. My system now works well.
There is an adjustment that can be done on the motor to control the speed.

I love everything on my coach except the windshield wiper system which is a real pain.

I would love to switch to electric but the cost is brutal.

Good luck, Wally
Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
agkcpa
Traveling

Hi Wally,

I removed the arm from the shaft. As far as I can see it only fits one way. The shaft is round with 2 flat sides that align with the same shaped hole in the wiper arm. I put everything back together and tightened it down. I won't know whether it wokrs or not until I get moving. While parled the wiper works fine. However, while driving (and particularly when windy) the wiper travels too far and makes a horrible noise as it flops over the edge of the windshield.

In doing this I managed to break the fitting that attaches to the rubber hose and delivers washer fluid to the wiper. I will investigate that at another time. I have done enough damage for today.
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
madson95

Smile windshield wipers

info I replaced my one wiper blade with a wiperblade that has 2 wipers. got it at pepboys think less than $9.00 each. what an improvement. will get a spare set next time I'm at pepboys. drove through the bad rains that caused all the flooding in Iowa and what a differance.

warren madson
1985 40' newell
2001 vw bug toad
calmar IA.
madson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Wally Arntzen

If you continue to have the problems your having, there are some adujustment lugs on the
back of the wiper motor. I'm assuming that they are Trico Air Motors. You have to take them out to do this and then put them back in with a couple screws, try them and if you went the wrong way one way or the other you have to readjust them until you get right. I put in rebuilt ones and had to adjust them but it does work.

The piece you broke for the windshield washer fluid you can get at any truck parts place. Just screw out what you have left in there and take it with you.

These air wiper systems are a pain. I was once in a heavy rain storm going through Kansas on the Turnpike and the wiper on my side just quit and I had trucks in front, back and the side of me and I nearly did not make it.

Good luck in you endeavors.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
2dogs

Art, we have an 87 with the pantograph wipers. When you remove the big nut (the small nut is the trailing arm) the shaft is round with two flat sides. In the arm there is a tapered splined cone. You must tap this out of the arm, stick it back on the shaft, then replace the arm one or two notches right or left depending on which wiper, and you should be good to go. Hope this helps...Brian and Lana

87 Newell Tag 40'-8v92TA-HT740 #139
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote