Service Panel 20 amp breaker - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
chockwald

Default Service Panel 20 amp breaker

After bringing the coach home on Saturday to install the brake controller I noticed that when I plugged into shore power the amp meter in the coach was still showing that the batteries were discharging....hmmmm...I don't have time for this! At first, because that's my personality, I assumed the converter/charger (Intellipower) had gone bad...always assume the worst, right? After thinking on it for a few hours (while I was installing the brake controller) I decided to check the electrical outlet....no power. I then tried changing out the outlet, and still no power, so the outlet is not the problem. The wiring between the outlet and the breaker is probably less than 10 feet long, and it seems to be intact. Next I checked the breaker on the elctrical service panel in my closet. It was not "popped", but I turned it off, reset it, and then turned it on again anyway....still no power to the outlet. At this point I am assuming that the duplex 20 amp breaker has gone bad....all other outlets in the coach work. I was not able to find a duplex 20 amp breaker that was an exact match to what is there, so I'm stalled out on what is wrong, but do believe it must a bad breaker. As an interim solution I ran 14 gauge romex from the electrical outlet that powers my bedroom TV down to the electrical bay, installed a new 120vac electrical outlet, and plugged in the converter/charger, and it works!!! When I visit the Newell plant next week I'll have them trouble shoot it.

The breakers on my service panel are all duplex (except for the main) and are over and under, as opposed to the ones I found at Home Depot which were all side by side. Additionally, I wasn't able to get a perfect match, but I bought one that was closest to what is there now......still no power to the outlet, but since it doesn't seem to match up perfectly, I still can't rule out the breaker as the problem. The electrical service panel is getting power as all outlets, and appliances are working except for this one outlet. The breaker that controls the outlet for the converter is dedicated to that outlet. Is there anything I'm missing here????

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Clarke,

On the Gardner coach I worked on a couple of weeks ago, he had exactly the same problem. No power to converter. The breaker itself was good, but the contact points where it mated to the power frame were corroded and the constant vibration of the coach made for a hit and miss situation. Ohm out the breaker with your voltmeter to determine if it is good or bad. Also look at the two points where the breaker actually makes contact when you snap it into the frame.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
chockwald

Thanks Richard...I'll do a continuity check tomorrow. The 2 contact points looked clean and the switch fit quite snuggly, butwho knows, that may be the issue. If is still unresolved we can check @ the rally. At least I had a simplen, short term solution!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote