Concrete slab thickness for a newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Newellin Thunder

Default Concrete slab thickness for a newell

Do I really need anything more than a 4" concrete slab to support a RV? I am preparing to put up a shop large enough to house the Newell and it was recommended that I put a 5-6 inch slab of concrete to support the weight of the Newell. Is this correct or will 4" be just fine.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
jack14r

I have 6 inch in my shop and I wish I had 8 inches because of cracks,maybe I should have used 4500 PSI concrete instead of 3500 PSI.

jack14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Dom Ferris

Not if you like to look at big cracks!! I mean in the concrete. I wouldn't think of less than 6" with reinforcement. You could probaly hear 4" breaking under you.

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Retired63

What's your sub-base (soil condition)? With the proper sub-base and 3000 psi fibered concrete 4" might be doable
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Neweller

Jack14R and Retired63, you both have the right idea. I'm in the planning stages too on building either a 40 x 80 or 50 x 100 shop. I have been going over things with a contractor who is telling me I could split the slab in half with one half 6" thick and the other half 4" to save money. Of course the 6" thick would be for working on a Newell or equipment etc. Now the fiber reinforced concrete came up as a good option allowing me to go with a thinner slab than without. 3/8" rebar 12" on center is another option for superior strength. I would say the ultimate might be an 8" 4000 psi with fiber reinforcement. Which is spendy and probably overkill.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
The Newell

As long as you have good preparation before you pour, and use the fiber reinforcement, you should be ok with the 4" slab even though I would recommend a 6" if it were me. The problem with concrete cracking is when it is on poorly prepared soil and/or not reinforced properly. Concrete generally cracks when there is movement beneath it, or it's uneven somewhere.

But if it really concerns you, pour an extra foot near the rear where the bulk of the weight will be.

I'm not an expert on concrete, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
tuga

I was at Newell factory, and they were breaking out a section of concrete that had many cracks. After the old concrete was broken out and removed new back fill was put in and leveled. For 8 hours a worker using a compactor machine packed down every inch of that area. The section of concrete was about 20' x 20'. I don't know how thick the area was but I would guess 12"!

The area that was prepared was in the middle of the driveway that had Newells rolling on it constantly all day - every day. My service work was finished before they poured the concrete so I didn't get to see how much re-bar was put in the section.

Personally, I believe that no matter how thick, or how much prep work is done - the concrete is going to crack. Of course I also believe that thicker is better and it should last longer.

Just my .02
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
smagown

I just built my shop, 40 x 60 with 5200 sq ft under roof. I used 5", rebar, fiber, and 27 8 ft pilings. Concrete alone was $16k. It hurt my feelings!
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
The Newell

That is a nice size shop you built Steve. Did you set it up to accompany some fellow Newell owners? and if so do the cars come with the visit ?? lol just kidding Steve about the cars.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
smagown

Thanks Joseph. I'm set up with full hookups for fellow Newells. Ron got a hot lap in the GT3, all grins!
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
larryweikart

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]We built our storage facility in 2001 with 5", 3500psi concrete and adequate rebar and we have no cracks to date(knock on wood) It has a 8"X12" footer dug in around all outside walls. This is pretty good results considering the Mi. weather changes and the fact that we have the Coach, with trailer attached, stored together at a total weight of approx 65,000lbs. Our contractor spent substantial time preping the area before pouring. Hope this helps.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
lbrachfe

Simply have your Newell weighed and contact a concrete company for the proper composition and PSI for your load and the proper depth and material for the sub base and as Tuga stated Prep is the key as it is in all construction. My guess from 35 years building is a sub base compacted to the freeze line or in warm climates 30". Use a minimum of 4500psi fiber laced concrete and 1/2 rebar boxed and wired in 24" pattern. Concrete depth depends on your natural base and fill, but no less than 6" depending on all other factors and score expansion joints in a pattern and more if you have a severe pitch. Good luck and you should be crack free....
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
bigcatwally

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryweikart View Post
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]We built our storage facility in 2001 with 5", 3500psi concrete and adequate rebar and we have no cracks to date(knock on wood) It has a 8"X12" footer dug in around all outside walls. This is pretty good results considering the Mi. weather changes and the fact that we have the Coach, with trailer attached, stored together at a total weight of approx 65,000lbs. Our contractor spent substantial time preping the area before pouring. Hope this helps.
Larry nice building!

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
FJGuard

Wally's right! Larry you've got a nice place to keep the Newell from being out in the weather. Mind if I ask what it cost you for the setup?

FJGuard is offline   Reply With Quote