Considering '86 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
ireid

Default Considering '86 Newell

I came across this site while researching Newell coaches. I'm a traveling PT who is tired of living in apartments and taking only what fits in my trunk. I plan on traveling until I retire in several years.
Which brings me to RVing. I'very never owned a RV before and prior to this, had toyed with buying a 1976 GMC Palm Beach. I figured I could get a RV and literally take my home with me where ever I go every 3-9 months. In the town where I raised my family in Ohio is a 1986 40' wide body Newell parked next to a junk yard. It's been there for at least 5-6 years.I like how sturdily built Newells are and how well maintained ones hold their value. While at home for the holiday, I spoke to the owner. He indicated he'd sell it. He said it was bought new by his friend in Texas, he bought it from him with the intent to retire and travel with his wife. That didn't happen, so he wants it gone. Visually, it's a mess. The clear coat is fading, it appears a pole or 2 1/2 inch blunt object pierced the skin just behind the mid entry door. It has 208,000 miles on the odometer but has had both the 8v92 and Allison trans replaced about 25000 miles back. The interior needs deep cleaning, the 24.5 tires need replacing. All the window gaskets are rotted, the driver's windshield and the middle divider are cracked. I can't tell if the engine looks replaced or not. He has all the receipts, books and instructions from new, as well and said he'd start it up if I had the time. He wants $50000. Steep for a therapist. I've looked at others online of the same vintage and better condition for 29-35000
My question is, is it worth it? I'm a mechanically handy guy so many things I can repair myself. I don't have a trust fund to repair like new, a little bit at a time while living in it
If I'm not able to purchase the coach, (I'd have to finance that much) it'd be great to see someone else rescue it and enjoy traveling.
Thanks for allowing my ramble.
Ian

ireid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
MrE

It may have been worth $50 when it was parked 5 - 6 years ago but not now. If they're firm on their price I would walk away.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
ireid

He is and I am. Thank you.
ireid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:19 AM   #4
MrE

You're i on thee right track looking for a Newell, they're without a doubt a great coach. I'd search for one that met your needs without breaking the bank. If you want to search Craigslist, enter the following into a Google search :newell site:craigslist.org/rvs That will search for all Newells for sale by owner on Craigslist.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #5
Teebone

Hey Ian, it may be worth pointing the Newell owner to this forum. It may help him get a better grip on the cost of getting his coach road worthy and the value in its current condition. Good luck with your search.

Patience and persistence is key when searching for the right coach.
Teebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
peneumbra

Really nice Newells for very decent prices are out there, as we've just rediscovered. Keep looking...

peneumbra is offline   Reply With Quote