Air leaks in my 1987. - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
Wally Arntzen

Jeniffer, I can understand you getting discouraged, I felt that way many times with my coach when working on the air system problems. Now that they have found some leaks you will be surprised how much better it will get as they correct them. The tranny switch was a big one on mine and it was one of the last places that we checked. That is a very costley one to replace so see of they can rebuild it. My guy got a rebuild kit which consisted of some "O" rings and other little things but it was not a big deal.
Once you get the air system good to go most other things are a lot eaiser to deal with. Your probably going to spend more on labor that parts which us not unusual.

Hang in there and cheer up, your going to learn to love your Newell.
Wally

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Richard and Rhonda

Jen,

The leak in the service valve would explain why the brake pressure and the house pressure are leaking at the same rate. The check valves are to prevent the pressure in the brake system from moving back into the house supply system if the house supply pressure drops. It's a one way deal designed to keep pressure in the brake system as a priority. However, if you have a leak in the brake system, which you did, then the check valves are one way, and the house air will continue to flow into the brake system until all pressure is exhausted.

I second Wally's comments. Don't get discouraged. I worked on a LOT of stuff the first six months I had the coach. Now the stuff I work on is mainly tweaks and minor repairs.

You are dealing with the double whammy of learning the systems and trying to bring them up to speed at the same time. It will get better.

When you do get it up to great condition, the best way to keep it there is to USE it.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
prairieschooner

Jennifer,
I can understand your frustration.I am fairly well experienced and became frustrated early on. These guys here at the Forum are willing to help and are experienced with many of the problems that you are experiencing. They helped me "over the hump", keep on you will come to love your Coach and when you go somewhere you will hear "it's a Newell".
If they Load Checked the Batteries and all tested good then most likely your issue would be the Cable Connections and or the AC Shore Battery Charger. If your's is an Original Charger it is a good time to up-grade it. The Battery Chargers are so much better today even better than the Charging Function of the HEART or TRACE Power Inverters. Here is a link to Battery Charging;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...ryCharging.htm
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
jmacstack

Thanks Steve for the link. I have passed on all your suggestions and it has proven very beneficial to these repairs. They are on top of it down there at Western Cat. I am now intrigued by the battery chargers of today. How are they better? If there are better chargers than trace and Heart what brand would that be? I would like to get one ordered right away as the charger that is in the coach is the original! I'll keep you all updated. Richard, I'll be reviewing the genset issue with and generator expert tomorrow and will let you know. Thanks again, I'll write soon (duh!) and, I already love my coach..big time!
1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #25
encantotom

most of us have intverter chargers that are "smart".

xantrex, outback are a couple of great ones. i have the freedom 458 by xantrex that is a 2kw inverter. if i was to replace it, i would get a pure sine wave versus the modified sine wave that i have now.

of course you might have to do some rewiring to install if you dont have an inverter charger now.

the original battery charger or "boiler" that came in mine and i bet is the same one in yours is still installed in the bay but unplugged.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #26
fulltiming

To expand on Tom's comments, the new technology battery chargers are multi-stage (typically 3 stage) versus the single stage chargers that were installed 15-25 years ago. The multi-stage chargers start at a high voltage (bulk charge) to put a large current flow into the battery. As the voltage of the battery bank increases, the charger reduces the voltage thus reducing the current that will flow into the battery (absorption charge) to avoid boiling the fluids out the the batteries, then when the battery is fully charged, they go into float mode so that the batteries are maintained at the proper level. In this mode, they will keep the batteries fully charged without the danger of overcharging.

Xantrex makes a standalone charger called the TrueCharge that could replace your current charger IF you do not wish to install a combination inverter/charger. I replaced by Heart inverter with a 2kw ProSine inverter/charger. I wired it in replacing the existing inverter and just unplugged the existing battery boiler. At the suggestion of Newell, I left the existing battery boiler in place. Reason?? The only downside to the new multi-stage battery chargers, either standalone or as a part of an inverter/charger, is that if your batteries get accidentially drained down to a very low voltage, the multi-stage chargers will not see a high enough voltage to turn on while the old single stage chargers will take a battery from just a few volts and may be able to bring them back to life. I picked the ProSine because it is a pure sine wave versus a modified sine wave inverter. This is much easier on electronic equipment. It produces power with low harmonic distortion, runs inductive motors cooler and quieter, and reduces electrical noise that can interfere with the operation of laser printers and other devices.

Newell currently uses Outback pure sine wave inverter/chargers.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #27
Wally Arntzen

I have the Xantrex true charge in my coach. I put it in shortly after I got the coach about 5 years ago. It has been a great and as Michael says there are several other ones that are just as good or better.
Shortly after I put mine in I was in a storm in the mountains of Nortth Carolina and got struck by lightning which put out the charger and 2 brand new Cat maintainance free batteries I had just put in. That was a costley repair that I don't want to repeat.
Fortunately I was carring my old one with me and hooked it up to get me home and get another true charge and 2 new batteries.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #28
jmacstack

Morning Wally, Which Xantrex True Charger do you have? What is the amp output? Is amp output directly related to how many amp hours your battery...or batteries are rated for. In my case each battery is rated at 120 AH. I have 6 batteries. I'm not sure which charger would do the job. The True Charge I think has been replaced by the True Charge 2. Thanks again, Jennifer, the endless researcher and question asker.
1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
chockwald

Jennifer.....after having 3 of my 8d batteries boiled by the original 70amp battery boiler in my 1982 Newell, Michael Day suggested I check out a multi stage charger made by Intelli-Power by Progressive Dynamics. The one I got was 80amp. It also has a de-sulfating mode. Here's a link to the one I got:

http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_d...pd9180a_2.html

Since I installed this converter I have had NO batteries boil over, and they stay charged.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #30
fulltiming

The Progressive Dynamics that I recommended to Clarke is a higher output charger than the Xantrex TrueCharge units. You likely have a 75 amp charger currently. I have a 75 amp Magne-Tek as original equipment. Xantrex recommends a 40 amp charger if you have more than 200 amp-hours of batteries (this assumes 12 volt batteries, if you are using 6-6volt batteries of 120 amp-hrs each that would be 360 amp-hrs at 12 volts) or a 20 amp charger if you have between 100 and 200 amp-hrs. A larger charger recharges your batteries faster. My ProSine 2KW has a 105 amp 3-stage charger built in.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #31
Wally Arntzen

Jennifer, I am responding from a different location than my coach. I will check my manual on the Xantrex tomorrow afternoon and sent you the info. Michael knows much more about the capacities of these units than I do. I have 2 8d's for the coach and 2 8d's for the house and the unit that I have is excellent for my situation.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92