Jake Brake Modification - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Richard and Rhonda

Default Jake Brake Modification

I didn't like running with my jakes on all the time because the throttle was so senstive I could not consistently ease out to coast without the jakes coming on. That kind of irritated me hearing the jakes come on while coasting down a small hill.

So, I modified my jake brake circuit to have it work a little differently. Honestly, I bought a Brakeswitch, but ended up not wiring it as they recommended.

Here is how I have it working, and I'll attach a schematic if you want to do something similar. I have changed the system so that the Jakes come on when I depress the brake pedal. The jakes release when I release the pedal. They do not actuate when I roll out of the throttle. They do not "latch" when I press the brake pedal. I did this on purpose so that the jakes come on anytime I apply the brakes.

I can still turn off the jakes, by simply turining off the jake switch like you would normally do.

Here is the sweet part, by adding one additional toggle switch, I can revert back to the original setup. That is the jakes actuate and stay on when the accelerator is released. They unlatch when you press the accelerator.

I added this feature, because there are times when that setup would be useful. Such as descending a long grade. If I used my brake activated mode, I would have to ride the brakes all the way down. I wouldn't want to do that.

If you want to do this you'll need a standard 12V relay, one diode, about 20 ft of wire, and a few crimp on terminals.

Look at the schematic. Here iu what is going on. We are taking the hot wire from the Jake Brake on/off switch and interruping that wire. Just remove the panel with the on off switch, my wiring was purple with yellow stripe. Use the voltmeter to determine which wire is downstream of the switch. Mine was on the front of the switch. By putting the new brakeswitch relay in this circuit, we are using the brakeswitch relay to turn the jakes off and on. I ran two wires from the kickwell where I mounted the relay all the way back to the jake on/off toggle. I used one male and one female crimp on to simply insert the new wiring into the existing circuit. Easy to undo if I didn't like the result.

The trigger wire for the brakeswitch relay comes from the brakelight circuit. Look at the wiring schematic for the passenger kick well and find the correct wire on the terminal board. You'll have to ground the other side of the relay.

If you want to install the bypass switch that makes the jake function, simply put a toggle switch to jumper around the brakeswitch relay.

I did this a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't want to post until I had a chance to drive the coach. We took a little 250 mile trip this weekend.

How did it work? SWEET !!!!!!! I now have the best of both worlds.

You don't have to spend the 80 bucks for a Brakeswitch that I did. A standard 12V relay with a diode to prevent a voltage spike back into the brake circuit would do the trick.

If this didn't make sense let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	646  

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
fulltiming

Good job Richard. I am envious of those with the Series 60 Jakes. The jakes on our 8V92's just don't have the braking power that yours do. I don't have to worry about mine latching. I need all the braking assist I can get.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
chockwald

Same here, Michael......in town I leave the Jake on all the time....need the extra braking sometimes, and don't want to have to remember to flip the switch. Richard, that write up is very impressive, and just what I would expect from you.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

"need the extra braking sometimes, and don't want to have to remember to flip the switch"

That is exactly why I rewired the circuit. Sometimes I wanted (needed) all the help I could get, and in a panic, I didn't want to be fumbling for the switch. On the other hand, I could not modulate the accelerator well enough to keep the jakes from coming on while interstate cruising, or worse yet, the cruise control and jakes would get into a fight on the downhills.

The circuit modification activates the jakes ANYTIME I press the brake pedal.

I didn't like the possibility of me cruising the interstate at warp factor four, running without the jakes, and topping the hill into a traffic snarl or worse. Not a situation where I would have time to hunt for the on/off switch.

The brakeswitch folks recommend a wiring circuit that uses the brake pedal to "latch" the jakes. That's great, cause with that circuit, you get the jakes coming on with the brake pedal, and staying on without the brake pedal depressed for mountain pass descending. With that setup you have to press the accelerator to get the jakes to release.

It just seemed much more intuitive to me to have the jakes come on and go off with the brake pedal. I added the bypass circuit for the rare mountain pass descent. We don't have too many of those in Tejas.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Wally Arntzen

I'm like Clarke, leave it on all of time and love the sound of it going on. Ive'e be told by my bus mechanic friend to leave it on all of the time and the only time I turn it off is when I come to a town that does not allow them.
Michael, I do a lot of mountain driving and am really satisfiessd with the hold back that I get from mine. My friend did work on mine and did some adjusting on it a few years ago but I can't tell you what he or how he did it.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
chockwald

Love the sound of the Jake! I remember as a young lad staying in roadside motels on our travels to Idaho to visit my grandparents, and hearing the sound of the Jake brakes all night long as trucks came through town.....to me that sound is associated with being on the road, which is where I love to be. Fortunately, like Wally, my Jake works well with my cruise control, and there is no battle between the two. When I go to zero throttle the Jake comes on, and when the cruise control is engaged it (the Jake) is off.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
2dogs

our 87 had only one switch on/off i found that it was only for the left bank so i ran two wires and installed another switch for low/high (left/left & right) what a difference
87 Newell Tag 40'-8v92TA-HT740 #139
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
busnut

Scanning some of these older posts. The above caught my eye. Anyone else with a 8V92 discover only one bank active with the jake brake. I am going to check mine out as they are pretty weak.
'93 43.5' #318
busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
folivier

OK, how do I tell?
Where would the wires on the engine be located?
Thanks
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
2dogs

Our is a non ddec the wires are located on the back side of the valve covers one on each side have to use a mirror on a stick to see them. one is dark blue-black? other is yellow if you dont have a three way (low-off-high) or dual switch (on -off / low-high) even with ddec you are probably running only low according to the wiring diagram. having it set to run only high would be dangerous in bad weather. Brian

87 Newell Tag 40'-8v92TA-HT740 #139
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote