Can a newell handle the additional weight of granite? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Will Procter

Default Can a newell handle the additional weight of granite?

Hi,

I have decided to put new counter tops in our newell and the wife wants granite. My question is can the newell handle the additional weight of 3cm granite or do we have to go with the thinner stuff or is granite even a possibility? We are thinking of using granite for the counter tops, dinette table and possibly the shower walls but I don't want to over load the coach.

William

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
lbrachfe

What are your floors made of and how many slides do you have ? Mine are half granite and so are my steps and bathrooms. I have been in Newells that the entire flooring was granite and they had 4 slides, so that should say something about weight capacity.

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
fulltiming

The easiest way to tell is to get your coach weighed by wheel position and see how much additional carrying capacity you have. There is no question that Newells are heavy and that they have a great deal of carrying capacity. The front end is typically the closest to the limit on multi-slide coaches. Coach 732 was built with 3 slides, bath and 1/2 and granite floors thoughout. Granite countertops are not that unusual in newer Newells.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Neweller

Will,

Here's an idea for you after taking in the considerations of Larry and Michael. I will tell you from experience that 3 cm granite weighs a ton and you don't have to go that thick. There is no doubt 3 cm does not usually crack as easy as say 2 cm and that is even more important if being installed in a moving flexing vehicle. If you are not super picky (due to color options), you could go with a light weight granite that is only an half inch thick that has been reinforced with a fiberglass back. This stuff looks great and can take a lot of flexing and not crack. I have installed this product 5 years ago into lighter GVW vehicle's with much more flex than a Newell and on still going strong.

Some additional notes, you can build the edging up and profile it to most available designs. 3 cm granite got real popular during the housing boom as a money making inexpensive option to solid surface (aka Corian) or tile because they would leave it with a standard edge with no build up. It allowed the small guy to complete without the labor of profiling.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
brwint

I would most definitely like to add some kind of granite and not have the Corian. My biggest concern has been the weight question as well.

Ken can you provide some information on how to obtain or get this installed here on the forum or just sending it to me. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Neweller

Brett, are you preferring to have a company install something like this for you, or DIY? If you are in S. Cal I can give you a number for someone to install it otherwise I'll have to do some checking on who would sell to you directly. If weight is an issue, the cool thing is this stuff weighs right in the same ball park as Corian. I know of a cultured marble company that was working on a light weight granite product comprising of 90 plus percent granite and rest fibers and synthetics (an engineered stone) and can check with them to see if they have any product testing in RV's and the weight.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Desmarais1

Hi Ken,

I am interested in finding out more about this lite weight granite material. I have a brother who is an out of work cabinite and counter guy plus does flooring down in

California. He has came on and read your post and is not familiar with the product but has heard of it. Can you provide me with the lead in CA? Thank you and really do

appreciate the information.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Will Procter

Ken,

Thank you for the information on the granite thicknesses I have shared it with the DW. To be honest we would be interested in the info for the light weight granite if you have it handy.

Will

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote