New Tires - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2003, 01:29 PM   #1
Rich Farr

Default New Tires

Our '79 Newell has 11R22.5 tires approx 7 years old. Tread is still good but sidewalls are showing their age and we have decided on new tires - just to be safe.
At one time, I had seen a tire recommendation in Tech Talk. Appreciate any recommendations including number of plys and weight range.
Also, the front tires have 'steering tread' that is different than the rear. Any viable reason not to use same tire all the way around so they could be rotated?
Thanks in advance.

1)Is there any reason

Rich Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:46 AM   #2
Larry Shaffer

Rich,
I have a friend whose coach was fitted with the same tires all around and he could hardly keep it "between the lines" on the highway. I do not know the reason why the steering tires are different. I would not put anything except steering tires on the front due to my friends experience. There must be a good reason for the difference. Good Luck. [Editor's note: Special steer axle tires have a tread design optimized for the different wear characteristics experienced on the steer axle versus the drive axle. Standard tread designs can tend to "cup" or experience "river erosion" on the steer axle. If the coach is not handling correctly, we would suspect front end alignment, such as the tires actually having toe-out rather than toe-in.]
Larry Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote