Sealing the basement areas - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
larryweikart

Thanks for all the great input. I've decided to cut out the old and replace with an "insert" I just don't have enough old material left to do anything else.I will try to post pics along the way. If I were to weld the insert in, is it necessary to remove the battery cables or is using the disconnects enough to protect the ddec? I've also thought about using J-B Weld to secure the insert. Any thoughts on those 2 items before I get started? This project will keep me at our storage building, where I like to be anyway, tinkering!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1321  

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Brad Townsend

My compartments are stainless steel. They will not rust and stand up to any acid spills far better than steel. I also have AGM's they are 5yrs old and just as clean as the day I put them in, no acid venting out. You could have a compartment bet to order at a sheet metal shop then pop rivet it in place.

1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
HoosierDaddy

Hi Larry,
If this floor just lays in there JB would probably work. I'd still like to see a few rivets...especially on the side where the sidewall is rusted. If the floor secures your battery tray I would want a more robust arrangement ie more rivets or weld. Finish off with a bead of sealant around all edges top and bottom and a drain hole.
To Brad's point:
Stainless would work great. I am aware of a couple Amish sheetmetal shops in your area that could probably make a stainless "tray" that would drop in there. This would preclude the "weld in" option though.

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote