Cummins 903 engine questions - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
champcar50

Default Cummins 903 engine questions

Our 1983 coach has a cummins 903 engine. It seems to run good and has plenty of power, however after it sits for a while the only way to get it started is with a shot of either in the air intake. It starts right up and runs good. It does smoke pretty good for a few minutes after starting smoke smells like fuel. I am not sure why it needs a shot to start it is almost like the fuel drains off while it is parked. I know quite a bit about gas engines but not a lot about diesels. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Jack

champcar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
fulltiming

I would look for an air leak into the fuel system causing the fuel pump to send air into the cylinders instead of fuel after sitting for an extended period.

The ether is allowing the engine to start by providing a substitute fuel to get the engine going and by then the fuel pump has pumped the air out of the system through the injectors and is moving diesel to the engine to allow it to continue to run.

It could be a seal in the fuel pump or a leak in the fuel lines very near the engine or even a leak in the small lines that go to the injectors themselves.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
DieselTruckMan81

I believe what you have as this 903 is a VT-350, producing 350 hp @ 2400 rpm and 860 lb/ft @ 1500 rpm. This is a V8 diesel engine.

~Ben
DieselTruckMan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Jimg

This was very common on 903 very cold natured, and most had ether injectors installed that you just hit a switch to activate.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote