Inside Diesel Generator Switch Does Not Work - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Twins

Default Inside Diesel Generator Switch Does Not Work

I have a Classic Newell and the generator switch inside the motor coach does not work. The generator can be started on the generator itself. I am assuming that there is a fuse or something that went bad? Problem is I can not find a fuse. Any thoughts? By the way it's a Kohler diesel generator.

Twins

Old 03-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
The Newell

Check your connections, On my 1976 Newell I had a similar problem which was where my inside switch failed to work because a wire broke between the switch and the generator.

Run a cheater wire from the switch to the generator to determine which wire needs repair/replacement.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
rellick

Must be a loose connection somewhere, if you can get at the wires on the back of the switch there should be power to one wire, if there is its the switch. You can proove this by touching the wires together, the gen should start. if there is no power to either wire you will have to trace the wires back to find power. One is your power supply and one will go to the start solonoid on the gen. Hope this helps
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
MrE

Check to see if you have 12v to the switch. If you do it could be that the switch is bad.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Twins

Okay, I'll do some checking now. Thanks crew.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
77newell

I had the same problem a couple years ago on my 77 coach. The interior switch operates in parallel to the switch on the generator. Power to the circuit originates at a terminal strip in the control box on the gen, goes to the switch and when the switch is turned on power flows back to the terminal strip. There is no fuse in the circuit. An open exists in the circuit somewhere. Here is what I would do; measure voltage at the dash switch with the switch "on". Note the color of the wires. If no voltage either side or voltage on both sides but no start I would then pull out the gen and open the top of the control box and Check for voltage on the terminals 3&4. If there is no voltage on either or there is voltage on both the control box has a problem that will need to be traced by following the wires until you find the open.

In my case when I opened the gen control box I found a rodent had started a nest and in the process had pulled a wire spade off the terminal block. Put the wire back on and wiggled it to ensure good contact and starting occurred normally. I then carefully plugged the hole where the wires come into the box to keep rodents out.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote